Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

My pinion seal in my stock '57 rear end is leaking. Not leaking bad, but enough to leave a 5-inch or so stream on the floor when I back out. This is the seal where the rear driveshaft yoke inserts into the rear end. It's leaking out, running backwards and dripping off the drain plug bolt.

Heard that this is a real fun project to replace it.

Does anyone know where to buy the seal? Guys at work think I could get it from Auto Zone or NAPA. I am skeptical.

Where did you guys get yours if you've replaced yours, and what are the steps or tricks to replace?

Any help or pointers you can offer are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to the weekend.

:)

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Hi Gents,

My pinion seal in my stock '57 rear end is leaking. Not leaking bad, but enough to leave a 5-inch or so stream on the floor when I back out. This is the seal where the rear driveshaft yoke inserts into the rear end. It's leaking out, running backwards and dripping off the drain plug bolt.

Does anyone know where to buy the seal? Guys at work think I could get it from Auto Zone or NAPA. I am skeptical.

Where did you guys get yours if you've replaced yours, and what are the steps or tricks to replace?

Thank you in advance, hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to the weekend.

Any auto parts store can get it for you. If they can't you should not be doing any business with them, They are incompetent.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Hi Gents,

Napa part # SKF 18692

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Easy job.
1) Put rear end up on jack stands.

2) drop the drive shaft.

3) Use a socket to remove the pinion nut(1&1/8" I remember correctly)

4) Use a standard screw driver and hammer to pry off the old seal.

You should have the new seal ready to go on when you pop the old one off . I always use an impact to remove the pinion nut and I re-tighten with the sock wrench.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought a 55' seal at O'Reillys. Don't forget to mark the pinion nut and pinion with a chisel, so you can install them in the exact location insuring proper bearing preload. I used a cheater bar with a floor jack under it on the driver's side to loosen, and then passenger side to tighten. Ted

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Easy job.
1) Put rear end up on jack stands.

2) drop the drive shaft.

3) Use a socket to remove the pinion nut(1&1/8" I remember correctly)

4) Use a standard screw driver and hammer to pry off the old seal.

You should have the new seal ready to go on when you pop the old one off . I always use an impact to remove the pinion nut and I re-tighten with the sock wrench.
Be careful on over tightening the pinion nut, if you over tighten it TOO much you will screw up the back lask on your ring & pinion, (ask me how i know :sign0020: ) to do the job the correct way you should actually also purchase a new crush sleeve to go along with the new pinion seal, but then you need the correct tools to set up your back lash again like a micrometer.

When you remove the rear yoke for the rear drive line, make sure there are no major grooves on the surface area that the pinion seal rides on, if there is, Napa has a speedy sleeve kit to slide over it , the part # for that is SKF 99170 that way the seal will have a nice clean, non grooved surface to ride on again:tu

:anim_25:

Rick

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you, thank you, thank you, all of you

I greatly appreciate this.

I should be able to bang this out this weekend.

Great tips, couldn't do it without you guys.

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts