Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm putting a Ramjet crate engine in my '57 convertible that is equipped with an EFI Connection conversion kit that uses an LS1 PCM with the crank trigger and 8 coil setup.

My question is, which of the 4L60E transmissions will bolt up to the standard (non-LS) small block engine? I have looked at TCI and Bowtie Overdrives and the year ranges they show don't match up, so I'm a little confused.

Rich at Bowtie thought my best bet would be what he describes as a 1997-1999 "3 piece" transmission which has the removable tail housing and bell housing. I just want to make sure it will bolt up to my standard small block engine.

Any comments on what torque converter to use would be helpful as well. The LS1 PCM is all set up to control the 4L60E, so I'm not concerned about that part, just want to make sure I buy a transmission that will actually bolt up!

Thanks much,

Jon

·
Registered
37,980 Posts
The 4L60Es made from 94-99 pickups, 94-97 Camaros, and 94-96 Caprices will definitely bolt up. In 95 they went to a PWM circuit on the lockup, and that's what the later model pcms will have, so the 94s are probably out.

But, just like you can bolt up a TH350, TH400, or a 200-4R to an LSx block, I'm sure with the right pieces you can do the opposite - bolt a trans that came behind an LSx to a traditional block. I just have no idea what those pieces are.

The other thing I don't know is if there's any other differences between early and later 4L60Es that would keep you from using the later controller.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
4L60E?

If you are going to run a old school engine whgy mess with a 4l60E's electronics. Just call TCI and get a 700r4 with the constsnt pressure valve body already installed? Torque converter stall will depend on what camshaft you have. What do you have?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems to be common sentiment that the 4L60E is superior in tuneability, and since I already am equipped with an LS1 PCM, it seems to make sense to use it (plus no TV cable to deal with). Also, I just went through an install of a TCI 700R4 with constant pressure valve body on another project and had a helluva time getting the TV cable adjusted, and am now having to replace the valve body because it shifts so hard it barks the tires on the 1-2 shift every time...even easing away from a stoplight.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,392 Posts
Look for a GMT800 2wd truck 4l60e 97-2000 The 3 piece unit is the one you want they were used behind the Vortec 305/350 motors. They have the correct torque converter for the Gen I motors. Really the only difference in the later ones is the torque converter hub and flex plate bolt pattern is wider.

But you should be able to buy a 4l60e and have the company get the correct converter for you Gen I motor.

I owuld really like to see power and MPG on you LS style SBC!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts