Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an undermount sink (porcelain?) in our bathroom on a granite top that won't stay. It was originally installed and held for about 3 months then dropped. The guy came back out and did it again and it held for 2-3 months and dropped again. Any installers or contractors here that know what should be used?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I don't think adhesive alone will work. My granite top supplier drills the top from the bottom side, installs anchors, and uses adhesive and clips that hold the bowl in place.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
My son and I have a granite fabrication shop. We use anchors but a lot
shop use bondo and it works just fine. Just longer to do the install. We use a short level across the sink opening and a bar clamp clamped to level or any straight edge and into the sink drain to hold sink in place. Mix some bondo and smear it on approx. 3''x3'' cardboard and squish it on the sink and granite. Four spot around the bottom and you'll have to bust the sink out. Finish up by caulking the inside of sink :tu

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
We have an undermount sink (porcelain?) in our bathroom on a granite top that won't stay. It was originally installed and held for about 3 months then dropped. The guy came back out and did it again and it held for 2-3 months and dropped again. Any installers or contractors here that know what should be used?
You would never think it but i swear on PL-400 construction adhesive. my neighbor glued the wood stringers to his fence 20 years ago to my chainlink posts..there still there. i glued my basement windows in to the surrounding concrete 10 years ago..they aint comming off:)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I never heard of using anchors but I'm not in the business. Our other bathroom has a similar sink but installed by another place. Whatever they used smelled intoxicating and was real strong. I might have some leftover bondo. If not, I'll shop around for the construction adhesive. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I used a two part epoxy on my sink with a granite countertop and it's still looking great after 10 years. I did not use any anchors. I've seen anchors attached into the cabinet, if the cabinet is close enough to the sink (don't use a long screw!) or you can tack a board across the underside, close to the sink, and install the anchor to that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It sounds like you need to get a good measurement to the floor and cut (2) 2x4's that can prop the sink up..... No?? I guess I'll stick to cars:eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
They used to use an epoxy here but i think they had some call backs. most of the guys leave it up to us plumbers now. We use silicone (the kichen bathroom stuff with mould inhibitors) and strap the sink up with a galvianised strapping, 1/2 or 3/4 inch wide stuff. Screw it to the wood braces at the top of the cabinets and it can stay there for good. you can wipe the excess silicone of with thinners before it dries.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
When I was in the custom home building business our granite top sub-contractor always used a 2-part epoxy on both porcelain and s/s sinks. They'd roughen the s/s sink lip and they use a oak 2x4 straight edge across the top bolted with allthread to a 1" x 10'' x 24" or 38"(for use on different sink sizes) panel thru the sink drain hole. The panel had adjustable threaded "legs" that they tightened against the bottom of the granite so there was up and down force on the sink and this helped hold the sink in place until the epoxy set. They let it sit for a day then for the epoxy to cure then they removed the brace/clamp then siliconed the lip both inside and underneath. We never had a sink come off in over 10 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.