Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I use Matrix MP 200 DTM (direct to metal) Primer, MP 210 DTM Primer Sealer and MP 3 High build primer.

All 3 are urethane. They all sand well. I don't have abrasive buildup with regular "sandpaper" but I switched to a Mirka dustless vacuum system for my DA Sanders which uses a "net" style abrasive versus paper backed.

Never tried SPI, TCP or Tamco but I swear by Matrix MS 42 high solids clear.
Me too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The stuff I use is from Germany, the brand name escapes me righy now. It is hands down the best primer I have ever used. It is used on all kinds of high end cars in Europe like Mercedes Benz. It is very flexible - you can spray it very thick for a lot of sanding or you can thin it out a alot just for a coat of regular primer. It fills great and sticks to everything. It is extremely durable to everything. No need to have three different primers.

PPG makes an expensive primer that is similar but costs more and you can't do as much with it. I do not like Dupont's DP90 - the market has moved to epoxy primers you can actually sand and frankly, DP90 just doesn't compare to the newer stuff quality wise and durability. Unpopular opinion!

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,353 Posts
Is this the VP50?
Yes it is. It's available in quite a few colors. I added the epoxy line and the CPHS primer line to my mixing bank this summer so I can mix as little as 3oz of whatever color primer/undercoat I need.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,353 Posts
This is all true of SPI, except price wise is low.
Is it possible that your dry spray problem with SPI might have been too small a tip? I use a 1.3, but they recommend a 1.4. Actually I think Tamco epoxy is just as good, and it lays down very smooth, but this door was done with SPI black epoxy.

Definately wasn't the tip. I use a 2.0 for primers. Lays it on well with a 12" wide fan.
I use Matrix MP 200 DTM (direct to metal) Primer, MP 210 DTM Primer Sealer and MP 3 High build primer.

All 3 are urethane. They all sand well. I don't have abrasive buildup with regular "sandpaper" but I switched to a Mirka dustless vacuum system for my DA Sanders which uses a "net" style abrasive versus paper backed.

Never tried SPI, TCP or Tamco but I swear by Matrix MS 42 high solids clear.
I had no issues with the Matrix systems. Just that my supplier passed away and didn't have a replacement one in my area.

I prefered the MS-20 clear over the MS-42. It flowed better and sanded excellent for polishing.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,386 Posts
I use Tamco paint and primer. The epoxy primer is awesome!

·
Registered
211 Posts
DP-LF is a 7 day full cure. Anyone that can just wipe it off with laquer thinner after that 7 days is something I don't believe. Not calling anyone a lier, but I've seen where it needed to be sand blasted off after the 7 day full cure. A day or two, sure not may be able to be wiped off, but not after 7 days. The stuff sticks to chrome even.

Having said that, I think there are better and less expensive options within the PPG brand for those that care.

First up, would be another thinner epoxy like DP. In the fleet line is F4921, comes white, grey and black. The black once dry looks exactly like an E coat. It is sandal, does not gum up the paper. It is also half of the cost of DP-LF and honestly has much better adhesion capabilities then DP.
The next one is VP2050 in the Vibrance line. This is a high build full epoxy that has the same build characteristics as a polyester primer. Stupid levels of build. It is only available in gallons and is only in grey. Again, compared to DP this is a very reasonably priced product.

I'm not trying to push anyone to PPG products, just offering up options over DP-LF.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts