Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning, I'm switching to a 700R4 trans next spring and I'm not sure which intake and carb to use. I have a 57 two door belAir with a (1962) 283 and a powerglide which really runs well. I've put 11,000 miles on the car in the last 2 years with long trips to the mid west and Canada, I live in Md.. The hard shifting and low MPG are getting on my nerves. I was thinking of going to a small 380 Holley.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would think it would depend on what cam, if any, you have, what rear gear ratio, and what you are trying to gain. You will love the 700-R and if you don't over carb will get good gas milage and nice throttle responce 4 around town driving. I like Holly's because I can tune them easyier than an Edelbrock. If you drive the car most of the year a Holly will work well, if you plan on storing the car 4 the winter make sure the carb is full of gas and additive. That carb may sound small to most but work well with automatics. The 700-R gets it's message via the TV cable that runs from the carb linkage to trans, this adjustment is critical in trans operation. I have seen some Holly instructions say NOT used in overdrive trans but you can get around that. Make sure your '62 block will exept the rite starter also. Lon

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
If you go with a Holley and 700R4, you need to get this adapter for the TV cable. If the leverage is incorrect, you will fry the tranny.

700R4, adapter for a Holley carburetor to install the throttle valve cable correctly. Usually this part will correct a hard light throttle 1-2 shift. With this kit getting the correct geometry is easy.

Taken from http://www.transmissionhead.com/#Parts

·
Registered
42 Posts
purdy thing that last one :cool:

the price :eek: wow. I need a new intake (and prob. carb) for the coral one which has an automatic... interesting stuff.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Doug.....
There is a mathmatical equasion/formula that will tell you what cfm carb to run. I forget what it is right now. I will try to research it on the net tonight and get back to you.

I'm currently running a '84 Corvette 350 small block rated at 295hp. With my 700R4 and factory 3:36 rear gears.....I get between 19-21 mpg on the highway at 1850 rpm's with a Holley 600cfm. I don't have a clue what I get around town. With the 3:36 gears...She's not very quick off the line but does well on cruising. Talk to ya later.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts