Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did this post a couple of days ago, but it disappeared, may have been due to web site being down.

Considering buying a new radiator rather than repairing existing unit (which is not that old) but is leaking above the bottom tank. I want a direct replacement because even though it is for a V-8 in the 6 cylinder position, I have little room with the A/C condenser coil pack in front of it. The two choices I have come up with are; copper/brass, 4 row, 1/2 inch tubes, or aluminum, two row, 1 inch tubes, both are apparently manufactured by U.S. Radiator. I realize there are other selections, such as Griffin, etc.., but probably not necessary for my application/usage. The car is a 55/210 with a 283/TH 350. Which way should I go????

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,706 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Also consider the hood striker plate available from Danchuck that is a 1/2 inch shorter. May help with clearance, but it is a modified piece as opposed to one that is original in appearance.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, the aluminum radiator you cite, mounts in the v-8 position, do they have one that mounts in the 6 cylinder position, as yours does in the photo? I have a 6 blade fan and a shroud. What pressure cap do run with that radiator?

·
51,706 Posts
Dave, the aluminum radiator you cite, mounts in the v-8 position, do they have one that mounts in the 6 cylinder position, as yours does in the photo? I have a 6 blade fan and a shroud. What pressure cap do run with that radiator?
That set-up belongs to Lloyd's 55....See this thread:http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102937&highlight=radiator

I checked their site.....They say that they have a 6 cyl radiator http://www.autocityclassic.com/inde...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=65 However, in the description they say "It mounts in the stock V8 position in the car. HUH?????

Recommend you send Lloyd's 55 a PM.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
That radiator is in the 6 cyclinder position?

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,455 Posts
China radiator designed to be mounted in 6 cylinder position, run with 4 blade fan and no shroud. Runs at 180 degrees max.

Attachments

·
51,706 Posts
China radiator designed to be mounted in 6 cylinder position, run with 4 blade fan and no shroud. Runs at 180 degrees max.
TD.....Do you have a manufacturer and part number? Or a link?

·
Registered
89 Posts
radiator choices

I run a US Radiators 4 row desert cooler (copper/brass) in my 57. 0.60" over 283, very mild cam. Radiator is in V8 position. No issues.

Tried a Chinese imitation of the same thing. Ran hot all the time. Scrapped it and bought the desert cooler.

Lots of people run the aluminum radiators with success.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts