Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to decide which trans to use in my tri five ls conversion. its just a cruiser. no racing. the two choices I am considering are a turbo 400 that I have or buy a 4l60e. I like the idea of the 4l60 but I am worried about stock spedo problems.
the turbo 400 solves the spedo problem and is an easy hookup since its vac controlled.
what would you do for ease of installation?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
trying to decide which trans to use in my tri five ls conversion. its just a cruiser. no racing. the two choices I am considering are a turbo 400 that I have or buy a 4l60e. I like the idea of the 4l60 but I am worried about stock spedo problems.
the turbo 400 solves the spedo problem and is an easy hookup since its vac controlled.
what would you do for ease of installation?
No question, 4L60. The OD is so well worth the small problem of converting to a mechanical speedometer drive.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have had very good results with the 200-4R

I did a 200-4R from an 88 Monte Carlo SS and I love it. The 200 has a very light efficient gear train, is plenty strong, has very good shift quality, and does not require cutting the driveshaft. It has a standard mechanical speedo output, and like the 700 it has a lockup converter which is great on the highway. See details of my install here:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1107644#post1107644

Driver.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did a 200-4R from an 88 Monte Carlo SS and I love it. The 200 has a very light efficient gear train, is plenty strong, has very good shift quality, and does not require cutting the driveshaft. It has a standard mechanical speedo output, and like the 700 it has a lockup converter which is great on the highway. See details of my install here:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1107644#post1107644

Driver.
a good built 200 is hard to beat. have a really good gear set in them, I'd do the 200 or a 4l60 both good.

·
Registered
280 Posts
which trans.?

Hi there, I used an older 700R4 when I did my big block conversion. I also was looking for a good compromise of street cruiser and overall performance and this trans. fit the bill..
The 700R is available with a mechanical speedo drive (1986 I believe)that accepts the stock 55 cable with no modifications.
With the appropriate upgrades the trans. will handle moderate performance usage:) and will deliver good fuel mileage with its overdrive.

If performance and ultimate strength is your goal, then go with the Turbo 400!
You will, however, pay the penalty of increased fuel consumption.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi there, I used an older 700R4 when I did my big block conversion. I also was looking for a good compromise of street cruiser and overall performance and this trans. fit the bill..
The 700R is available with a mechanical speedo drive (1986 I believe)that accepts the stock 55 cable with no modifications.
With the appropriate upgrades the trans. will handle moderate performance usage:) and will deliver good fuel mileage with its overdrive.

If performance and ultimate strength is your goal, then go with the Turbo 400!
You will, however, pay the penalty of increased fuel consumption.
if you want strength of a 400 and overdrive, get a 4l80e, they are really tuff

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,999 Posts
For the 4l60e/80e To drive the mech. speedo you can a box that will do it Google Abbots Cable X.

Now they aren't cheap.

So if you don't have a trans I would just get a 700R4. It will have a mech speedo available for it and then just run a inline VSS for the PCM. Its not needed persay helps things. Would be cheaper since one wonldn't need the mech drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok decided to go 4l60e. found a good one for 150 but not sure it will work. its a 94 model with an 8 pin connector. I think I need the 13 pin. I there an easy way to make it work or should I hold out for 99 up trans?
the engine I have is a 2004 5.3 truck engine.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,999 Posts
You will want a Gen III/IV 4l60e 99-up trans. As with the early ones you need a bushing spacer for the flexplate. The later will bolt right up. Easy way to ID the later trans is it will have the very top bellhouse bolt hole cast for a bolt. The others are blank at the very top.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not trying to hijack this post

"You will want a Gen III/IV 4l60e 99-up trans. As with the early ones you need a bushing spacer for the flexplate. The later will bolt right up. Easy way to ID the later trans is it will have the very top bellhouse bolt hole cast for a bolt. The others are blank at the very top"
What is this bushing spacer you mention? This is the first time I heard of this. I have a 327 Cu. in. with a 350 turbo and am changing to a 1993 4l60 (not electronic) from a Caprice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I thought I’d jump in on this thread rather than start my own since I’m at a similar decision point.

I have an LC9 out of a 2012 Silverado - 10k mile motor with an uncut harness and computer. My understanding is that the computer just drives the engine and that there is a separate transmission controller that’s actually in the case of the 6L80E that came with it.

So, after much talk with my wife she’d rather not cut the transmission tunnel. I am all for the 6L80E, but that requires surgery. I don’t mind a 4L60E, especially since I have a core that I can trade in for it, BUT I can’t justify it if it will cost me $1000 more than a 6L80E which I can find for $1500 with around 20k miles on Car-Part.com. The best deal I can find for a 4L60E is from Summit for $2000 with a controller -

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700460kit

I just wonder if this is a stronger 4L65ish trans or not. Most of the aftermarket folks ask $2k-$2.5k for a beefed up 4L60E and would require another $1k for a controller. There are a few like Bowtie Overdrives or Phoenix who have a $1500 trans, but again $1k for a controller. Am I missing something?

I suppose that I could go for a 700R4, but I’m not terribly keen on that because I’d like to be able to control shift points and line pressure with my HPTuners software. That’s not an absolute deal breaker, though. How do get the kick-down with an LS engine? We plan on going with aftermarket gauges with an electronic speedometer, so the mechanical converter isn’t an issue.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,999 Posts
I just wonder if this is a stronger 4L65ish trans or not. Most of the aftermarket folks ask $2k-$2.5k for a beefed up 4L60E and would require another $1k for a controller. There are a few like Bowtie Overdrives or Phoenix who have a $1500 trans, but again $1k for a controller. Am I missing something?

I suppose that I could go for a 700R4, but I’m not terribly keen on that because I’d like to be able to control shift points and line pressure with my HPTuners software. That’s not an absolute deal breaker, though. How do get the kick-down with an LS engine? We plan on going with aftermarket gauges with an electronic speedometer, so the mechanical converter isn’t an issue.
Just get a used T42 (external TCM) from a donor and have the wiring added to your harness. Then buy a 4l65/70. You will need the later versions as the 60 doesn have a ISS. Basically get a 2008-up 4l65/70.

Now price wise not sure which is cheaper option. But used you can get a low mile 4l70 for $1000 if you loo hard enough. Then buy the T42 and have the wiring and tune the ECM as well.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You have what sounds like a 6-speed drop-in and because your wife doesn't like the idea of cutting the floor, you're going to jump through all these other hoops for a different tranny? Really? Is your wife going to be the one doing the cutting and fabrication?

Charlie

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,999 Posts
You have what sounds like a 6-speed drop-in and because your wife doesn't like the idea of cutting the floor, you're going to jump through all these other hoops for a different tranny? Really? Is your wife going to be the one doing the cutting and fabrication?

Charlie
Charlie can you explain to my wife why I need an LSA crate engine that cost 10k please? See wont listen to me! :sign0020:

Snappy, I agree with what Charlie stated to a point. I would tell your wife that your motor is setup for the 6l80e. It will cost way more to convert to a different trans vs simply cutting the trans tunnel. And rewelding. So your saving money!!!:tu

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Charlie can you explain to my wife why I need an LSA crate engine that cost 10k please? See wont listen to me! :sign0020:
Now that is funny!...:sign0020::sign0020:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts