Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I can help you with this...the answer is: Drum Roll Please.......NOBODY!!!:)

I tried to find any place that coated them in white and the closest I could get is a rough pebbly finish in white that is actually an Aluminum color that comes off if you rub or scratch the pebbly finish and comes out silvery. The company said that its not a good choice for headers!!
Funny but they make the finish in Red, Black, Gray and even Blue..But nobody makes it in white..it seems that white will not last!! I ended up painting mine white. After taking the old paint off by sanding, and then spraying High Temp Flat-white paint using a few light coats...then starting the car and letting the white paint bake slowly. I would start the car and just as I saw smoke from the headers I ended shutting off the engine...after they cooled I did it again and agin until there was no smoke at start-up. Of course when I started the car and drove her around the block..the white paint all but burnt off. I finally just sent mine off and got them Jet-Hot coated. I though about painting them white over the top of the Jet-Hot since the Jet-Hot allows them headers to run cooler and cool down faster. But I actually love the satin silver color of the Hooker Coated Headers...and what could I do if the white didn't stick again..I'd be out the money I spent to get them coated! So botton line is.. No white colored coating is available..UGH!!!

Anyone know who coats headers in white?

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
White headers were on my Chevelle when I bought here. Within 2 years they were terrible and I replaced them with ceramic coated. Five years later when I sold her they still looked great....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
KBS coatings, best dam header paint ive ever used. i sand blasted them then painted them, and have not had a problem. i painted mine black, but they didnt fade, chip, or flake. good stuff.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try calling Motorsport Powder Coating. They are in Delavan Wi. Phone no.847-800-7708. His name is Tim. When he ceramic coats exhaust he puts a 2000 deg. coating on the inside and a 1400 deg.coating on the outside. Does them in White, Black, and Silver. He did mine in the silver along with the intake and rocker arm covers.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I hope I am wrong, but I do not think that Powder Coating will hold up to the extreme heat that Headers puts out. Doesn't Powder Coating melt on the metal at 400-450 degrees? I contacted Jet Hot and they are trying to develop a white coating but as of yet they cannot get it to with stand the high temps and it either blisters or turns brown so they can't give a guarantee! Hope you do find one as I still want white too!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Jet Hot now does them in white. The company was sold a couple years ago and is under new ownership and they have now perfected the white coating. I was talking to the owners son at their display at the GoodGuys Loveland show in June and they can even color match their coatings now.

Not cheap but they do do white ceramic coating once again. One of my Cobra buddys just got a new set of headers and side pipes done by them in white for his Cobra.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The Jet Hot web site does not say they do a white...but I have sent them an email asking them directly. I hope so!! But until I hear it directly from them I am not getting my hopes up cause many people told me they did until I went to try and get mine done and then Jet Hot said no. That was about 6 months ago so hopefully they have it now!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Well I emailed Jet Hot and I just got a response back!!! YES they do white now!! They con do it in Extreme 1300 (Which is what most people get when they get their headers ceramic coated), and also in Extreme 200 and extreme 2500. The Extreme 1300 takes 5 business days to get done and the other two take 7 Business days to finish. I told them I have a 33 inch header (I have fenderwell headers so that is about right), and they siad cost would be 455 dollars...so it is not Cheap. Also the cost to remove any chrome or ceramic will be 50 bucks more (called a strip fee)..ugh..

So for my Fenderwell headers on my 57 it will cost me a total of 505 Dollars + the shipping too and from Jet Hot...wow!! But at least now I have the choice to go to White or keep them the shiney Silver Coating.
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts