Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask the question and I know it's my call anyway, but what's your thoughts of putting white wall tyres on my '57 Gasser. I've looked at loads of pics for ideas etc and can't seem to make my mind up. The other reason is that here in the UK there is a better selection of tyres to choose from if I went that way and also I want to do a lot of miles driving it.
I know a true period tyre should be the one of choice but I just though I'd ask?
Thanks,
Micky T.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,379 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I don't think so - -

Micky - As for me, I wouldn't put WHT walls on my Gasser - kinda ruins the whole racer look, for me. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Micky - As for me, I wouldn't put WHT walls on my Gasser - kinda ruins the whole racer look, for me. :)
I just posted pics of this one the other day, looks pretty period correct and cool too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Tires

Back in the day there were a few cars running narrow white walls but these were recap cheater slicks( One of these was Marsh Tire). When M&H came out most just left them alone.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,379 Posts
Nice Old School look Randy.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Not sure if the tyres are the same in UK as the USA, but can't you just buy the White wall tire you want and turn them inside out so the white wall is facing inside the car and not outside?

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
There was a time when I would have put WWs on anything. Now? I don't care for them but talk to some of todays just becoming teenagers. I was surprized when my granddaughter and her friends said they liked WWs.

·
Administrator
48,740 Posts
just face the whitewalls in if you don't like 'em
You can do that but if you don`t paint them or dye them they look dorky from a way back when looking at a ride with the whitewalls in. Never notices it until some guys were discussing it a week or so back. Just a thought.
Terry

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think it depends on the look you are going for. EARLY gassers had white walls but they went away later. I think white walls look great on a pie crust type cheater slick on the right car.

Mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the looks of skinny whites up front and for some odd reason I was going to do wide white cheaters out back and face the white walls in. I'm wierd like that though. I went with black wall cheaters and still might do skinny white bias plys up front. If I can stop having kids......

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought the Hurst pie crusts and went with black walls, but now after seeing these wide white cheaters, I may get a second set of the radair's that have the big ol white wall on them!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Running cheaters in the UK is not very practical!
You can buy pie crust cheaters for the look and then have a tread pattern cut into them. Or buy a tire groover and do it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmtq03-9CQ

In the UK, check with some motorcycle shops that specialize in "Supermoto" racing. Supermoto racers use tire groovers to cut tire patterns into slicks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Also, if you are going for gasser style tire I think you'll want to run a taller tire on a rim that is a little too narrow. I'm running 255/70/15's on a 7 inch wide rim. (normally a tire that wide would go on an 8 inch rim) I think this is really, really important if you choose Radir or Hurst tires but I think it worked pretty good on my BFG Silvertowns.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It kinda seems like an East coast thing. WWs seemed to be big out there but when I used to practically live at the dragstrip in the mid to late 60's NOBODY would run WW's on a gasser in this area.That was more of the 'cruiser' thing ,for the custom car guys. Gassers were simple and all about going fast ,not flashy and loaded but I guess that's just a regional thing. I guess the guys that ran in the earlier 60s and maybe 50s might feel differently.I wasn't racing then ,so I can't speak for these gentlemen .If ya have a gasser that see's some dragstrip time it is going to be a pain,trying ta keep em clean. I guess it's all about what you are trying ta make your car look like (what era).
If I was building a stud-bustin axle bouncin-gear puller,,,I'd keep em in the black. >IMO<

1 - 20 of 32 Posts