Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. I don't attend car shows any longer. I found that the people showing their vehicles do not necessarily know anything about the vehicles. They either bought the vehicle as is or paid a bunch to have it done. One guy argued with me and others that his '55 had a big block, when in fact it has a 265 small block. He bought the car as is and the PO told him the car had a big block. I don't think we convinced him and probably shouldn't have said a thing. I found later that most people there knew very little about their cars and vehicles in general. Another guy had a '55 150 sedan and thought it was a '56. I overheard that conversation and the guy was pretty po'd. Any thoughts from other??
JW

Reactions: Nick's55

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Ha! Just wait till you get into a discussion on what a short block is! Lot of misunderstanding on that one too. Heard lots of false remarks, mostly buy guys trying to impress a girl with how much he thinks he knows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Just wait till you get into a discussion on what a short block is! Lot of misunderstanding on that one too. Heard lots of false remarks, mostly buy guys trying to impress a girl with how much he thinks he knows.
Hey. Well one thing I learned, is to keep my mouth shut with regards to a person's vehicle. Even when I see something wrong, not necessarily unsafe, I try not to question. Yes, I heard various versions of just what constitutes a small vrs a big block. The best was one guy told me that he thought the length of the engine from front to rear determined the answer.
JWS

·
Registered
412 Posts
The title and the discussion don’t agree. Are you interested in the fact that I restored my own car or not. The discussion seems to be more about the fact that the owners in discussion at car meets do not know anything about their car. The fact of the matter, a unknowledgeable owner in all likely hood didn’t prepare said car.

You are uncovering the fact that purchased restored cars and paid for restorations are very prominent at shows.
And as a side note some/many do not know the first thing about said car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right and I should have kept my mouth shut (opinions to myself). As someone who does know a thing or two about my car, I guess I expected the people I met at the shows to also know about their cars. I was surprised that they didn't. This is the point I was attempting to make. Thanks for responding,
JWS

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I build all my own cars, and know them inside and out. Probably touch every nut and bolt on them during the builds.
There are plenty of people who simply buy their cars, and don't know them. That's never bothered me, unless they try to BS and pretend to know and I know they don't.
I do get irritated when somebody tells me about something on my car, and I correct them, but they are adamant about thinking they somehow know what I've got better than I do.
I even had one guy argue for a very long time about what my car is! I was sitting at a cruise in with my Austin gasser, and he told me he saw that "Anglia" run here in the '60's. I told him it wasn't possible since I'd just built it from a stock "Austin" car, and that it wasn't an Anglia. He got very defensive and told me I didn't know what I had. His buddies told him I ought to know what it was if I owned it, and I pointed to the Austin badge on the grille. But he got more pissed and wouldn't listen to me or his buddies.
That was probably the worst case of ignorance I've run into a car event.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've given or thrown away trophies just as others here likely have from 'car shows'...too many folks like you described. And I couldn't care less about subjecting my car to the judgement of someone who likely has little more hobby knowledge than your 'big block' guy. For me it's the camaraderie of people who turn the wrenches on their car, or at the very least take enough of an interest to get to know and learn about the car they've chosen to spend time and money on...no matter how sophisticated it may or may not be. Were it not for the people with shared experiences and the old cars that are actually driven and enjoyed - I wouldn't be doing this. It takes both to make it work for me. As for Mr. Big Block - all I might offer is: 'nice car - too bad you don't know how to enjoy it...'.
JR

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Short block? Well that has 4 cylinders...it's short the other 4

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
...what would classify as a Long Block then.....inline 6? Or that oddball Straight 5 GM has (had?)? But we digress....
(nice to have you back Steve - seemed like you had been absent of late)
Long Block...Cizeta-Moroder V16T
(Family events, but things have evened out. Thanks!)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That rubber band stretches both ways. For every question that some car owner can’t answer, I‘ll have someone that is completely clueless proceed to tell me all my own car. Maybe it’s the same guy.

·
Administrator
64,540 Posts
Unless you can start and finish a resto most folks probably would know what has been done as its been sourced out. If your hands on or know what you want you`ll have a general idea of whats been done.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
When i bought mine 4 years ago, it had a 90s restoration. Since then i have replaced motor, trans, electrical system, half of the interior, and many other things. I do my own work because l thoroughly enjoy doing it. Shows around here seem to know what they are talking about... Alot of times if I go to a show i walk around and check out the cars/trucks and sit down have a smoke then hit the road, I much prefer the wheels turning on it during the day light and stare at it night in the garage..I do find that some people are just there because they like telling people that they have lots and lots of money. I had a guy next to me at one show that had a some rare ferrari and started chewing my ear that he used to be a corvette guy but his last one he had was number 3 off the assembly line and he said that didnt get enough attention so he got a good deal on the ferrari and only paid like 265k :rolleyes:. But i do think it depends what and who hosts the show. there is a show close at a speed shop during the summer and it seems like most people have a good head on their shoulders, and most of them worked on their own cars or at least knew what was done with them.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I can definitely do mechanical and electrical work, but I have to find talent when it comes to body and welding. I wish I could have learned metal fabrication skills because you truly get to create. I'm not that guy I guess...I would happily pay for GOOD body work....meaning the use of a welder, dolly and hammer...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Don't even get me started about car shows, and the stupid stuff that goes on there! I think we all appreciate acknowledgement of the hard work we've done on our cars, but when it comes to car shows it means very little. Often the judging is questionable if a club does it, and most of the trophies happen to end up with club members. Or a large car club shows up, and it's voted by participants, and the big clubs all get together to vote for their cars.
Then there's the stupid comments I hear by clueless people walking through. I heard one girl ask her boyfriend, "Why does this car sit this high?" His response was hilarious! "Because it's a rat rod."
Since I despise rat rods that one got me out of my chair, and I told the young girl her boyfriend didn't know cars at all, and my car was a "gasser" and explained what gassers were, and why they sat the way they did. She listened closely, but her boyfriend walked away just seconds after I began the explanation.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Me. That's who. Anyhow, I couldn't send it to be restored. The shops around here are booked up for years. I asked a shop to install the new differential I bought. Their answer was, we don't have time. Will call you back to set up an appointment. Still waiting. Got the parts in 4 boxes. Put it all together and removed the old one and installed the new one. Me with left knee issues, heart issues, agent orange issues, arthritis in the hands issues. I got a quote on fixing the rust in and around my trunk. Six thousands. I bought all the parts and paint. Did it for $500. I wouldn't let these shops put a hubcap on for me. These shops are looking for complete restoration work. People who bleed money and want to be the talk of the cruise night. These shops gouge people.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Me. That's who. Anyhow, I couldn't send it to be restored. The shops around here are booked up for years. I asked a shop to install the new differential I bought. Their answer was, we don't have time. Will call you back to set up an appointment. Still waiting. Got the parts in 4 boxes. Put it all together and removed the old one and installed the new one. Me with left knee issues, heart issues, agent orange issues, arthritis in the hands issues. I got a quote on fixing the rust in and around my trunk. Six thousands. I bought all the parts and paint. Did it for $500. I wouldn't let these shops put a hubcap on for me. These shops are looking for complete restoration work. People who bleed money and want to be the talk of the cruise night. These shops gouge people.
Thanks for your service...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts