Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
You're right and I should have kept my mouth shut (opinions to myself). As someone who does know a thing or two about my car, I guess I expected the people I met at the shows to also know about their cars. I was surprised that they didn't. This is the point I was attempting to make. Thanks for responding,
JWS
Must be the same guys that argue all day on Face Book and make continual stupid comments!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
I hacked my mess together at home in my driveway with a couple of exceptions from a few friends. I always said if you are going to own a boat you need to know how to be a mechanic and an old car is the same way, Even a check writer still needs to be competent enough to know what part or service he is buying. I have been lucky enough not to encounter any dumb comments yet, but when they come I intend to just agree with them and let the people move on. You cant tell people anything anymore. They already know it all. One of the most surprising comments I got was from my step daughter the day of the parade. She's a good girl. soccer mom, not a rule breaker at all but as she climbed in, she glanced at the dash and the shifter in the floor and asked " Will it bury the speedometer?" I was surprised to get that from her.

·
Registered
56 150 two door w/210 trim, 350 CID, TH 350
422 Posts
Did 98% of the work myself. Farmed out bead blasting of frame and the trans overhaul.

You ever talk to folks at car events that make you wish you weren't there?

At a cruise, I was getting my brain beat to death by some guy who was bull crapping me, about him having the exact same car a few years ago. He was there with his trashy wife and three un-car friendly kids. The kids just ran around and around scaring me and the other car owners. He wouldn't shut up about all the great hard work he did etc. etc. After about what seemed like four hours of mental pain and suffering, he actually asked me what year my car was... HUH?
I said "It's the same year as the car you said you had a few years ago!" The OH CRAP I'M BUSTED look on his face was priceless, he turned away and quickly walked off into the sunset... with his family trying to catch up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just wait . Knuckle heads have looked to have a hobby during this pandemic just to get out . They bought cars ,boats ,dogs other houses . But honestly I can't wait till this pandemic is over and relax at a decent car show . When I see them coming I just go the other way.

stay safe folks
Robbie OD

·
Registered
344 Posts
Like some of you I am happy to say the 95% was done myself. I couldn't trust myself with the Transmission, Seats, (but I did do the door panels), headliner, and the wheel alignment. The rest including the body off frame, wiring, brakes, glass, the body and paint, I was happy to do.
I always enjoy talking with someone that also completed a lot of the work on their own car(s). Swapping stories of how they did the work on theirs is always enjoyable and a great way to make a new friend.
I do however like to hear someone BS me on what "they" did on their car and can see right through them right away. I have fun asking them questions and watching them dig a hole. Most are not smart enough to stop digging and dig some deep holes. Ha!

Gary S

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I am asked who did mine, I am proud to give them that info. My car was built by Jim's Chevrolet in Rancho Cordova in Sacramento. When I moved to Washington, I took it to a shop here for service. This guys name is Bill. I asked him to check the car over to make sure it was really trust worthy if I decided to run it at the local strip. He took 1/2 a day but told me it was only about one of a handful that he would buy himself because Jim's had done an exceptional build job on it! It was done 100% right and correct and complete. I was very satisfied!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just a thought. I don't attend car shows any longer. I found that the people showing their vehicles do not necessarily know anything about the vehicles. They either bought the vehicle as is or paid a bunch to have it done. One guy argued with me and others that his '55 had a big block, when in fact it has a 265 small block. He bought the car as is and the PO told him the car had a big block. I don't think we convinced him and probably shouldn't have said a thing. I found later that most people there knew very little about their cars and vehicles in general. Another guy had a '55 150 sedan and thought it was a '56. I overheard that conversation and the guy was pretty po'd. Any thoughts from other??
JW
Well, mine has a 3/4 cam!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've met a few irritating people, but perhaps I'm fortunate in that the vast majority of folks I've met at car events are very easy to be around. Even the ones that have super high dollar cars. I remember one time I went to a cars and coffee in Carmel with a buddy of mine in his 69 Dart GT-S, 340, 4 speed. Nice car, but it had been used as intended for a lot of years, and it showed. The one guy was really into it, and asked a lot of relevant questions about it. When we had run out of things to discuss about my buddy's car (it IS a MOPAR, after all ;), we asked him if he'd brought a car to the gathering. He was like "sure, come on" and led us to a thick crowd around a car we couldn't even see. He led us thru the crowd, and his car was a legit 250 GTO. I was pretty floored. I'm an American car guy at heart, but the original GTO is in my opinion, the most beautiful car ever produced. Hands down. I'd seen them in museums, but to actually see one being used on the street? He even raced it on open track days and vintage races. He showed us around it...let me sit in it. I will tell you that I was actually nervous to do so, but how could I resist?

Here is the point of this dissertation: this guy was as enthused about my buddy's patinaed Dodge as he was about his own $40M piece of unobtanium. Super cool guy, and without a doubt a car guy, through and through. Just a bit wealthier than most! This kind of thing is why I'm kinda over custom bikes- everybody wants to brag about how did their bike or how much it cost them. The guys I meet at car events are much more easy going, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've met a few irritating people, but perhaps I'm fortunate in that the vast majority of folks I've met at car events are very easy to be around. Even the ones that have super high dollar cars. I remember one time I went to a cars and coffee in Carmel with a buddy of mine in his 69 Dart GT-S, 340, 4 speed. Nice car, but it had been used as intended for a lot of years, and it showed. The one guy was really into it, and asked a lot of relevant questions about it. When we had run out of things to discuss about my buddy's car (it IS a MOPAR, after all ;), we asked him if he'd brought a car to the gathering. He was like "sure, come on" and led us to a thick crowd around a car we couldn't even see. He led us thru the crowd, and his car was a legit 250 GTO. I was pretty floored. I'm an American car guy at heart, but the original GTO is in my opinion, the most beautiful car ever produced. Hands down. I'd seen them in museums, but to actually see one being used on the street? He even raced it on open track days and vintage races. He showed us around it...let me sit in it. I will tell you that I was actually nervous to do so, but how could I resist?

Here is the point of this dissertation: this guy was as enthused about my buddy's patinaed Dodge as he was about his own $40M piece of unobtanium. Super cool guy, and without a car guy, through and through. Just a bit wealthier than most! This kind of thing is why I'm kinda over custom bikes- everybody wants to brag about how did their bike or how much it cost them. The guys I meet at car events are much more easy going, in my experience.
They are incredibly gorgeous...instead of these new 2 door edgey sports cars, they should reach to the past and pull what has stood the test of time for style.

·
Administrator
48,907 Posts
Personally, the majority of the people i have met at car shows are great people that know quite a bit about their rides. Yes, there is an occasional one that just bought it and knows nothing about it. But they are still proud of it. Maybe not as proud as me, knowing i did the majority of the rebuild on my own 57. If i didn`t do the work i was involved in the process. I had mine painted, had the transmission rebuilt, and bought a engine ( since you can buy one cheaper that building it yourself, which i have also done before). I did all the tear down cleaning, refurbishing, replacing and the rebuild, on my frame-off rebuild.
Terry

·
Registered
611 Posts
I dont care what other people say about their cars or mine as long as they keep it short and dont ramble on for over 3 minutes.

What I DO care about is pit guests at the track telling me how to tune, modify or drive my car. I built the darn thing bolt by bolt and have been racing it for 8 years. Yes I occasionally have mechanical malfunctions and make some bonehead driving errors but give me a break.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I dont care what other people say about their cars or mine as long as they keep it short and dont ramble on for over 3 minutes.

What I DO care about is pit guests at the track telling me how to tune, modify or drive my car. I built the darn thing bolt by bolt and have been racing it for 8 years. Yes I occasionally have mechanical malfunctions and make some bonehead driving errors but give me a break.
You know what you should do to that car is put a Ford Motor in it.. :LOL:

·
Registered
611 Posts
When asked by strangers what I'm running I sometimes tell them it's a Ford 292 (if the hood is down)

Reactions: twin engines

·
Registered
202 Posts
Personally, the majority of the people i have met at car shows are great people that know quite a bit about their rides. Yes, there is an occasional one that just bought it and knows nothing about it. But they are still proud of it. Maybe not as proud as me, knowing i did the majority of the rebuild on my own 57. If i didn`t do the work i was involved in the process. I had mine painted, had the transmission rebuilt, and bought a engine ( since you can buy one cheaper that building it yourself, which i have also done before). I did all the tear down cleaning, refurbishing, replacing and the rebuild, on my frame-off rebuild.
Terry
There are lots of real car guys (and gals) around the area we live in as you know. I have found that at the small town shows a high percentage of the old cars were at least partially done by the owners. Now all the new Mustangs Challengers Camaros and Corvettes are a different story. All they know is how to put gas in them and rub the paint with some wax they found at Walmart.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Now all the new Mustangs Challengers Camaros and Corvettes are a different story. All they know is how to put gas in them and rub the paint with some wax they found at Walmart.
I have said as much...such as - seems that to kids these days building a car is having a new set of wheels/tires mounted and installing an over-the-top sound system. I'm sure many on here have a similar version as me of working on a car at 14 or 15, driven by a desire to have something to be proud of driving around to anywhere... Today, kids don't even care if they get a license....sad...

As for the guy with the GTO - that's pure gold. At the NSRA Mid America Nats a couple of months ago, a fellow asked to park next to us - he had a very nice upfitted C2 Vette roadster. We had a couple of early street rods and a '55 sedan. Visited on and off over the weekend, shared stories about other cars we have/are building. Guy was from the Chicago area, said he chose to try the event since almost nothing else went on all summer (actually talked to several people with the same story). Think he enjoyed the laid back atmosphere instead of the scrutiny/criticism he had gotten from 'experts' at 'shows' nearer his home. My group aren't really Vette guys, per se - but it was easy to appreciate the work that was done on his car; and he seemed to enjoy our cars as well. He showed pics of his other cars - real high end stuff, of many kinds. Said he'd bring something else next time, and look for us to park with again. Hope he does. You see - the point is it's the love of the car - not the love that you can build/afford something better than someone else. That's why I won't participate in judged events. Guess I'm just rambling...
JR

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I actually grew to appreciate the import crowd. I go to a barbershop with my sons, they (the barbers) are young Latin and African American guys (im multilingual btw) and they are heavy into Subaru, Honda, and Mitsubishi turbo cars. They love seeing my older stuff, but can't afford it. Saying that, these kids tear their cars down and dig into them....at least they are gear heads and seem very willing to listen to my stories and V8 knowledge....one went so far as to do a 5.3L swap into a 240sx after I showed him youtube videos of how well they perform with a turbo....

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've dabbled into import stuff. I love my V8s, but there is something to be said about them. My little WRX did mid 12s all day, and on a tight road and less than perfect road conditions was pretty much uncatchable. As for a hobby car, I will stick with American for a lot of reasons, some of them practical, some of them emotional.
I will say that I'm getting ready to buy a new car, and (gasp) it likely will not be American made. I would if any manufacturers made something in the segment I'm looking for, but the big 3 have jumped on the SUV train. So for anything small and sporty, America has left the building.
To your point, though- yes- a lot of the import guys I've seen dive right in to their cars. I have a buddy that is a good deal younger than I (he's in his mid-30s) and cut his teeth on turbo hondas and the like. He's currently into a Caddy ATS-v that is approaching 900 whp, and he's designed alot of the parts himself, as a hobbyist. Impressive stuff.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts