Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do something different on the truck I'm doing and not interested in fuel injection again. Does anyone have a carbed LS motor? My plan is a plain ole' 5.3L with a mild cam and a Edelbrock Performer manifold. What kind of carb did you use? How do you like it?

Jeff

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,410 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott,
I'm going to buy the kit from Summit that has the manifold, controller, and necessary wiring. I just don't know what carb to buy. I've read the Edelbrock carbs are well tuned right out of the box but I don't know which one is best. I've read Holley's are better but take more adjustment to get them right.

Jeff

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
I guess I don't understand spending the extra money to install a carb and have a standalone ignition on one of these engines. It just seems counterproductive. I want to convert my carb'd hot rod (67 Nova) to EFI as soon as practical.

But good luck doing it if that's what you think you want.

·
12,256 Posts
Putting a carb on an LSx engine is like putting a rotary phone in your house, or like putting a stock tube radio in place of a modern stereo, imo. ;)

I personally wouldn't bother with it, but if that's what you want go for it. :)

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,410 Posts
Jeff, if you buying the kit call Edelbrock and as what they recommend with the motor and your cam choice you want.

The Gen III/IV motors heads flow alot of air so you need a decent sized carb to keep up.

Also Mast motor-sports sells a relocation kit for the coil pack it places them be hind the motor. It looks good and really cleans up the engine. Should be that hard to make some thing to mount them there.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm with the other guys as well. You're paying a premium for a FI motor to put a carb on it.

I'd just get a good SBC Crate Stroker motor vs a de-FI'ed LS.

Charlie

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,410 Posts
I'm with the other guys as well. You're paying a premium for a FI motor to put a carb on it.

I'd just get a good SBC Crate Stroker motor vs a de-FI'ed LS.

Charlie
He's talking about getting a 5.3L and carbing it. These are cheaper to begin with.

But in the long run its the same price carb vs EFI with carb being little more expensive IMO.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Would it not be less expensive to buy a 350 crate?
By the time you convert the 5.3 and then add on the HP what is your gain or savings.
Jim

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,410 Posts
Would it not be less expensive to buy a 350 crate?
By the time you convert the 5.3 and then add on the HP what is your gain or savings.
Jim
Depends on what you mean cheap. I can sell a complete 5.3L from $800 to $1000 bucks with EFI depends on mileage. Cheaper if I just sold the long block with no harness or intake.

It'll make the same power with a carb or EFI. If you added a cam for $400 bucks.

Your standing at $1400 just for the motor befor you buy the intake for $300 and the controller for another $300. So say ball park $2000. (not including carb or fuel pump)

A 5.3L should make 350 HP with a cam. Maybe little more with the carb as that intake flows really well.

I have yet to find a crate engine that is under $4000k with 350hp.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those would be prudent opinions for someone that has never done this before but I already have a running EFI 5.3L and want to try something different. Yeah, it works great and starts instantly every time but took a lot to get to that point.

So....back to the original question: Which carb?

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
A lot of work or a lot of money on the other one?

Why do you think a carb might be less of either one? The performance has to suffer.

I don't think which carb is the issue at all. There are lots of carbs that would "work". To me it's the other things.

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
What???????

Trying to bring reality to the discussion. I guess it's not welcome? I was asking questions about why the EFI was a "lot of trouble". If he could get help there, isn't that appropriate?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Jemo, I remember that Horsepower TV built up an sluminum LS engine (think it was a 5.7) with a Comp Thumper cam and they used a Holley 750 Double Pumper. It made 490 hp and 457 ft/lbs of torque. Not too shabby. May be a little too much carb if you're staying with the stock cam but may give you the incentive to bump it up too! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
All of the carbs out there are equally inefficient. :D.

Seriously... unless you're going to get into playing with different jetting, metering blocks, race tuning etc, just pick one based on whatever Mfr you like best. My $100 O'Reillys Holley Quadrajet replacement works like a champ on the Blazer. If I'm not concerned about funds, I'd buy a Demon.

For a fairly stock 5.3, I'd pick something in the 600-650 cfm range.

Charlie

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,893 Posts
Agree on the Q-Jet carburator :tu, coupled with an Edelbrock Q-Jet RPM manifold.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rick,

A lot of frustration mainly. Sensors on harness don't match sensors on mating end (i.e. alternator), chasing wiring problems/shorts with the fuel pump, $500 harness, $350 tune, specialized high pressure fuel pump and tank, return line, etc, etc.

The carb might be equal or more in price but I want that look on the truck and I want to be able to start it without having a guy with a laptop come over, spend 30 minutes at the house and leave with a check for a bunch of money.

A 350 crate is not cheap for the same horsepower. I've seen 5.3L's in the DFW area with 40k miles for $650.

It's the choice I want. The argument that it's a step backwards doesn't make sense. How about the opposite and putting an EFI motor in a 55 year old car? My sedan is EFI, 4-wheel disc, etc drives great for what it is but creeks, rattles, handles poorly compared to a modern car. A $12k Kia honestly drives smoother and quieter.

I'll call Edelbrock on Monday and see what they recommend.

Jeff

·
Registered
510 Posts
i've used edelbrock 600s on a couple of 5.7s (not ls) and haven't had any problems. i don't remember making any noticible adjustments other than idle. they look good and work well. can get them at autozone. i don't believe there would be any difference in an ls vs an older 350. but i don't use carbs on any of my cars anymore. i haven't really sat down and compaired prices but i like turning the key and going without warm up or hesitation, just my opinion.

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
Jemo, surprised you're building another vehicle based on the negative words about your 56. Especially one with an LS engine. Anyway, I wasn't trying to stir the pot or rile anyone up, I was just trying to see what the EFI trouble was.

My recent experience with Holley carbs is that a lot of them don't idle very well. My only experience with an Edelbrock is that it has a low rpm stumble when you mash the gas, this after replacing a Holley. A factory EFI isn't going to have either problem if in good condition. On the other hand, I guess none of them should have this problem. Just like your wire harness plugs should have mated. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts