Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering how many of you have traveled the historic Route 66 the whole way starting from ILL and ending in California or visa versa with your current TRIFIVE?

My wife and I are thinking about doing this and trying to do it in seven days. The time to get to California and start there would not be included in the seven day adventure.

We are just thinking about it at this point and wanted to know your thoughts.

Dan

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
That sounds like fun but I don't think RT66 is still intact... Later, Dave

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Wife and I are thinking of the same thing when the car is done:tu:tu

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,845 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
On my "Bucket list" too.... I am finally at the age of "recognition" that there are some things in life that you just have to say "to h-ll with it" and just do it. We were able to cross off one of those items on the list with a trip to the "Badlands " and then," Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse", this summer.
The biggest stumbling block to most of the items on my list is that they all involve driving very long distances from my home $$$$$. If I could only get better mileage out of my Chevy:sign0020:
One other "bucket trip" I want to do is a trip down the Pacific Coast Highway
Anyone else like to chime in on their road trip "Bucket List"

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
I think there's enough of it left to make it a fun trip. Take the old route where it exists and take the interstate where it doesn't. I don't know about all the way to CA, but there are some existing stretches in Missouri, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Maybe more.

I remember travelling 66 when I was a kid through Missouri to visit my grandfather. Pretty interesting trip for me then.

I'd like to see a nice list of all the side trips you can take on 66. I did see one a few years back.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
In the places where it doesn't exist, did they just close and block off the road, or actually demo it? I traveled the whole mother road from Chicago to LA several times in the back seat of a 51 Chevy coupe and 56 Ford station wagon. Water bag hanging from the grille when we crossed desert stretches. My folks were great, we stopped at most all the "2 headed calf" and meet "Jesse James brother" sort of places too.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Wife and I are thinking of the same thing when the car is done:tu:tu
Same here, My friend in Myrtle Beach is building a 34 plymouth coupe on a C-5 Vette frame and running gear and when we got our cars ready we intended to take the wives and do 66. Found out yesterday that his wife has cancer and may not make it to the new year. Don't wait to long guys.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Mother Road Trip

Hi guys - my wife and I traveled it from Chicago to Arizona last summer (09) in our '57 on the way to the Hot August Nights car show in Reno, Nevada.

First let me say that it was the best vacation that we have ever taken..!!!
And second....it is a trip that you just can't do at a fast pace and feel good about it...you will miss way too much.
And third.....Hot August Nights is just incredible too..!

We took 7 days getting to Arizona and missed a ton of things we really wanted to see..!! It is a trip of exploration....some times you really have to search for special artifacts and places that remain along the trail. It is no longer recognized as an actual highway and is therefore not found on any regular maps. There are many great publications that make the adventure easier, but it really does take time to find, soak in, and appreciate what is left. But the trip is absolutely a "must do" for those brave enough to drive their classic car that far. You will meet and get showered with admiration from real people every inch of the way....and when you pull into any of the original popular stops, it becomes a celebration..!! We spent so much time with some incredible people in Red Oak, Oklahoma, that we only logged 96 miles that day.....and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

I could go on and on, but please do your self a huge favor and DO IT..!!! GO..!! You wont regret a single minute..!!! I just wish there would of been some other Trifive members traveling with me..!!!!

Later....DK

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures from my trip to the 4 corners region this past summer. If you get a chance, spend a night in one of the old motels in Williams AZ - it's an interesting little town. Also, take a drive through the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest - there's a nice monument at the old roadbed. The stretch between Gallup and Williams is pretty desolate - makes you wonder what it was like 50 years ago.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
We drove all of what's left of old 66 in Arizona in May and a good portion of New Mexico. I-40 has carved up a lot of it but it's certainly worth driving.

As an earlier post alluded, 7 days won't be enough to truly enjoy the drive. There's just too much neat stuff along the way!

We saw just enough to make us want to drive the whole thing some day!

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
"In the places where it doesn't exist, did they just close and block off the road, or actually demo it?"

There will be both. Like any old unused road, if left unattended, it will deteriorate to be impassable, and the natural vegetation will take over. I'm sure that a big factor in the road not being continuous is that bridges were allowed to deteriorate. After you close a bridge things go down quickly on the rest of the road.

So what you're going to see and drive on is the pieces where the road has been continually used for a real purpose. Like where it will lead you to a town off the interstate, or where the interstate was built far enough away that the road is useful for local traffic. And at least the strongest of the historical places kept the road open.

What I remember the most on 66 on the parts that I traveled as a kid was all the advertising. Burma Shave and the like, as well as the tourist attractions for the next 100 miles. One of the big ones in Missouri in the 50s was "Jesse James' Cave". Those billboards made me and my brother want to go see it and we eventually did. Advertising and billboards were different then. Of course I was looking at it from a kid's perspective.

·
Administrator
68,012 Posts
There a morning news show here that is doing a segment on Route 66, looks fantatic they showed a western gun slinging town the other day complete with draft horses and carriages :happy0030:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I remember as a kid driving 66 to Mo. or Ok. from the small stretch in Kansas because we could make better time than the county roads. It was crowded and no where to pass the farm trucks. Ha! I remember how BIG interstate 44 was from Joplin to Springfield, now IT looks small compared to the new interstate highways. There was a place in Galena called 'EAT' that made the best grease bombs. My brother and I still laugh at all of the trips we made along that old road from Joplin to Tulsa with our runnin' buds. My wife is not too interested in driving it, but my brother sure wants to go.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I plan on coming back on 66 or whats left of it next summer on my Harley. As a kid we traveled it quite a bit. Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts