Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a factory RHD 1956 210 4 door hardtop - like Chevycrazy's mine was built in Tarrytown NY, came to England new in 1956 and has been here ever since, through numerous owners and colours.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
I have a factory RHD 1956 210 4 door hardtop - like Chevycrazy's mine was built in Tarrytown NY, came to England new in 1956 and has been here ever since, through numerous owners and colours.
I am guessing that makes it a very unusual car.

What sort of a VIN tag does it have? (Would be interested to see a photo – car and tag!)

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Probably the worst area of rust is around the rear window - hence this -

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went to photograph the vin tag on the A post - and found it's gone missing at some point - thought I had an old photo but I don't. I will have to have a look through all my old parts boxes etc I must have removed it for safe keeping (!). Fortunately I do have a note of the VIN - B56T135403 which makes it a 210 with the inline 6 made at Tarrytown.
It's been fitted with a 283 from a 61-64 Chevy and a (I think) powerglide at some point.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Probably the worst area of rust is around the rear window - hence this -

Ja ... that's pretty common.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Fortunately I do have a note of the VIN - B56T135403 which makes it a 210 with the inline 6 made at Tarrytown.
I wonder how many came to the UK like this? (They would have been part of a production run rather than being a one-off.)

All of the '56 4DHTs that came to Australia were Bel Air and V8 ... and shipped assembled, as opposed to the (more) regular CKDs.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Not from a 4 door HT, but here are a couple of body tags from Aussie delivered cars. The top one is from a 4 door Bel Air delivered to Australia and the lower one is from a CKD 57 4 door 210 sedan.

Cheers, Des

OOPs, how did I post the pic twice? Can a moderator please delete the second image?
P1011204.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wonder how many came to the UK like this? (They would have been part of a production run rather than being a one-off.)

All of the '56 4DHTs that came to Australia were Bel Air and V8 ... and shipped assembled, as opposed to the (more) regular CKDs.
Unfortunately I don't know the history in detail. The reason I know the car's been here all its life is the date of registration on the V5c (UK reggo document) and some history I was able to get from DVLA (our national reggo people) about previous owners. Also as you may know, cars here (UK) keep their first reg number for life (unless changed for a vanity type later) and the number is correct for a 1956 car registered in London.

I do know of other RHD cars (Tri-Chevys) - although there don't seem to be as many around as when I bought mine 20 years ago. They are not popular with US car enthusiasts in the UK on the whole even though it's more practical since we drive on the left, so maybe some more have been scrapped. I bought some spares off a bloke who had 2 RHD 57 4dr hardtops rusting in his garden - but that was 18+ years ago - dunno what happened to them, maybe they are still there - I remember being surprised to see those 57s had the 55-6 dash.

There's quite an active facebook group for tri fives over here but I decided to quit Facebook so I am not in that any more :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts