Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy that previously had my car made a rats nest under the dash adding and modifying the stock wiring. Of course the wiring is 50 years old and needs replaced anyway. (That's the excuse I gave the wife)

What company have you used for the harness. I know Painless makes one and a couple of others. Let me know which one you used and what you thought about it.

Terry

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Terry, I used American Auto Wire's 18 circuit harness. It was the cats behind as far as I am concerned. Other like others, but I don't see one being any better than AAW kit. They make thiers for the specific year and that beats the universal kits hands down.

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Terry i also used the American auto wire 18 circuit harness. Good looking harness, allows for updates and the tech help is good. If interested i can PM you the name of the guy on e-bay that i found the best deal on mine. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

·
Registered
10 Posts
Auto wire

Terry,
If you are planning to rewire your Chevy first plan what you want to supply electrically ie; power windows, door locks. door poppers, sterio equipment etc. I personaly used a 22 cercuit E Z Wire only because I needed the extra curcuits and didn't need the pieces that would have made the wire look original like insulation tubes, grommets etc.
Recommendation, Some systems come with a fusable link (a length of wire made to burn when over loaded) which may take some work to track down. Other systems come with an 50 amp in line fuse which is pretty easy to check.
They also come with a shut off switch for the coil wire (or distributor).
Basicaly if you are going to original go with the American Auto Wire. If not there are other well built systems out there that will do what you want and won't rape your wallet.
As I said, do your home work and think about what you want in an system before you buy.
Brian

1,544 Posts
wireing

I used the harness from CCI and for a novice when it comes to electrical stuff it couldn't have been easier, I too had a rats nest under the dash and was real worried when I was told to just pull the whole thing out, I'd post the picture of me holding the nest if I could find it but you get the idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts