Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering box is leaky. Some slop in it too. I've got the driver's side fender and inner fender off the car for sheet metal work, I figure now is the time to replace it. It's a manual box on my 57 2 door sedan. I've read rebuilding is not trivial, so I'd rather buy a new box. I've decided not to go with power steering for a few reasons, I plan to replace the worn leaky box with a new, stock manual box.

What all is involved with the removal and replacement? Can I slide the box out through the bottom of the car once the pitman arm is out? The steering column doesn't have to come out, does it? My apologies if this is covered in the shop manual, my copy is not available right now. Thanks in advance for watchoutfors and I'vebeentheres.

·
Administrator
49,643 Posts
Byrdman i hate to tell you but the upper steering column has to be torn down to pull the steering box out. Get a shop manual and it has an exploded view of the column. Then the steering gear box will come out fairly easy.
Terry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terry, thanks for your help. Am I to understand that the steering shaft is attached somehow to a portion of the column? If I remove the steering wheel there is something else holding it?

Dokelle, thanks for the tip. I've tried the grease instead of oil, which does help to some degree- but my seals must really be bad. The car sat outside for 18 years and I think the steering box was dry the whole time. When I first got it running again after all that time I couldn't turn the steering wheel at all, it was locked up. It's got enough slop to where it should be replaced anyway.

1,544 Posts
steering box

My steering box is leaky. Some slop in it too. I've got the driver's side fender and inner fender off the car for sheet metal work, I figure now is the time to replace it. It's a manual box on my 57 2 door sedan. I've read rebuilding is not trivial, so I'd rather buy a new box. I've decided not to go with power steering for a few reasons, I plan to replace the worn leaky box with a new, stock manual box.

What all is involved with the removal and replacement? Can I slide the box out through the bottom of the car once the pitman arm is out? The steering column doesn't have to come out, does it? My apologies if this is covered in the shop manual, my copy is not available right now. Thanks in advance for watchoutfors and I'vebeentheres.
Hi Byrdman: I'll send you a PDF tech article on this subject via your e-mail address.

·
Administrator
49,643 Posts
Byrdman, yes the shaft coming out of the steering box is solid and runs all the way up and the steering wheel attaches to it. The column collars at the top, behind the wheel all have to be removed, the cover on the underside and the clamp that bolts the column to the dash has to come loose.
Terry

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Byrdman
I replaced my column and box last year, and it was not difficult. I do believe I removed the column first, since I was replacing it anyhow. However, even if you have to loosen it up and remove it, I recall it was quite simple. I suspect that if you have the car up in the air, you may be able to slide it down and out the bottom. I didn't have that luxury, and had to pull it up, and out the hood. Either way, it's not a tough project. If it had been difficult, I'd remember, and probably would have screwed it up. As it is, it all turned out great. John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks 57Viper, I got your email that will certainly come in handy.

Thanks again Terry. The article that 57viper sent is confirming the things you've said here.

John, that info helps also. My car is off the ground about a foot right now, and as I said, the driver's side fender/inner fender are off. I'm hoping that will make things easier. Even if it can go out the bottom, I figure the column would have to come loose just to swing the box out away from the upper control arm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you didn't really ask for all this, did you!?!

Yeah, I thought about adding power but decided against it. It's more money and more work to adapt everything. That means the car would spend even more time occupying a shop bay and less time on the road. The '57 is SUPPOSED to be my parts chaser while I build my other project cars. I promised myself I wouldn't tear this one down like I've done everything else! I've got the disease that won't let me half-ass things and it gets me in too deep a lot of times!

Also, I'm not sure power steering fits the overall "theme" I'm going with. Eventually the theme for this car will be sort of a "working man's go-fast car"- modest 210 sedan appearance- no extra options, nothing fancy. But with a loud, rumppity motor and a 4 speed. Not a sleeper by any means!

All right, now I'm just getting carried away. Sue me! I'm having fun dreaming.

I'm taking all the BelAir stuff off we added back in the 1980's, and going back to the 210trim level (original for this car). I'll run steel rallys painted either black or color of the car, no trim rings and baby moon centers. Original interior or maybe old school diamond pleat or tuck-and-roll. Not sure of the outside color yet, but it'll be modest- no bright colors. I'll probably put some homemade traction bars under it. ahhhh.....one day!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Byrdman; you keep getting carried away like that we'll have to send you to Alcatraz. (lol) Anyway sounds like you're going back to the late '60s early '70s with your project. Had a BelAir in early '70s myself that fit your description, nothing really fancy just one BADD ride. Good luck and keep up posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hello, writing you all from Byrd Island

Papa- I guess it is sort of a nod to an earlier style. I won't be keeping everything period correct, but at first glance it will appear so. You got any pictures of the BelAir you had?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Papa- I guess it is sort of a nod to an earlier style. I won't be keeping everything period correct, but at first glance it will appear so. You got any pictures of the BelAir you had?
Wish I did have pics if my other '55s, ex-wife threw them out a long time ago:mad: . Sold the last one in '73 when I married her:( . Went 30 years without a '55 then Wife #2 got this one for me for Christmas 2003.;) :p :cool: :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Where can I download all these document that are talk about in the thread. I too need to replace my steering box.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,837 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts