Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
just wondering about who make/sell the best sheet metal for 1957 convert? I have compared carsinc and new classic chevy, the two have a huge price difference? What justifies the huge price difference?

Also what book should I buy for a 1957 body perfect build? Mine is a converted originally from 2 door sedan, I want to work on a perfect conversion, nothing to compare to here, all 4 converts that I know exist in the country are converted from 2 door, poor conversion too I would say, so I need a book that clearly illustrate which sheetmetal goes where and dimensions of a 1957 convertible.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
one is problaly made in the usa and the others are imports , i have the cars sheet metal and a few imports the quality is better, better formed and seems to be thicker metal, i did not use the imports stuff and went with all american steel. just my choice but lots of guys have used the import parts and are ok with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sheetmetal

I'm a new guy here and really a neophyte when it comes to auto mechanics. I am in the process of rebuilding a 57 2 dr HT. My build was on hold for 9 years because the floor had so many problems. I purchased each individual repair piece of which there are 15 I think. The idea of getting each part welded correctly seemed daunting. A 1 piece USA floor was $3000. Sooo... No dice.

I recently purchased a 1 piece floor from EBay the seller was ADEALSAP for under $1000. I'm sure it is imported and I was worried. The floor is awesome it is heavy and well made. The shell although sagging with problems of its own, dropped right into place on the new floor. I'm fortunate enough to have some older gentelmen who have built many cars on the job. They too were impressed with the quality. That's good enough for me. I ordered doors from CARSINC for $900 each. I'm not sure where they are from either. They fit wonderfully though.

I have decided to replace both front fenders now to save on the labor of fixing previous repairs done who knows when and how well. Back to ADEALS for me a pair of front fenders $700.

I noticed a earlier post from some members touting the taiwan parts as better fitting than the USA parts and for less.

I would rather buy things from the USA too. Unfortuneatly the US dollar gets spread mighty thin these days. I guess you already know you are about to spend much more than you could ever have anticipated.

Besides eho would know. Its not much different than adding options to a car that was not manufactured with them just because they cannot be verified.

Good luck with your build.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
when my 4 door was hit even the body shop guys could not believe the quality of the cars inc fenders, perfect

·
Registered
37,246 Posts
There is no pat answer.

Some of the US stuff is better, some of the import is better. You have to review it on a part by part basis. Some pieces are no good from either. In fact many.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts