Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents: Going to switch to disc front brakes on my 55 but have heard that some that claim to be "zero offset" systems aren't really so. Any input from anyone who knows for a fact who offers true zero offset front disc brakes? Thanks, Brian:bowtieb:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
As far as I know the kit I got and installed from mgchevyparts on ebay is a true zero offset kit. I didn't measure anything personally before I tore it apart. But, it all looks and acts the same as before.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
I think the mgchevyparts one moves the wheels out by the difference in thickness between a brake drum and a rotor. Which is about 1/4". And I'm pretty sure the ECI kit is the same way. But that's the best you can do with stock spindles. The ECI kit for Heidt's dropped spindles is that way too.

The Earle Williams/TCI dropped spindle setup does not move the wheels out. You can buy from either, they are the same thing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rick Is Correct

I think the mgchevyparts one moves the wheels out by the difference in thickness between a brake drum and a rotor. Which is about 1/4".
I purchased the kit from mgchevyparts. I believe I measured about 3/32" offset, but it's been over a year, so I may be mistaken. but the difference is indeed the difference in thickness between the slide on rotor and the original drum.

This kit can be pieced together. It uses the '72 Monte calipers, and an aftermarket caliper mounting bracket. I liked this particular bracket design, because it doesn't mount between the spindle and steering arm and doesn't affect steering geometry.

Instead of using the aftermarket hubs shown in the pic above, I chose to run my '62 impala hubs I've had on the car since '69. I did need to take a 0.011" cut off the "drum centering shoulder" as seen in the pic below. The '62 hubs use standard Chevy bearings and seals, whereas the aftermarket hubs use an odd sized seal, and I believe bearings also.

This allowed the '81 Trans-Am REAR rotor to slide onto the '62 Impala hub. Here tis on the car, stock spindle...

And, the stance with 8" Ralleys and 245/60s...

One more thing, the hoses that came with the kit were 16", and I could not get them oriented to not either rub the tire, or rub across the tie-rod nut. I replaced them with 14" hoses for '75 Monte.

Here is the complete kit with th '62 hubs...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Nice work Tony!

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I guess rgat I am stupid but ai am happy with stock spindles and 70 chevelle roters, dont know my offset, Cars stop good and looks good.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Tony -- That's some real old-fashioned hot-rodding you've done there.:congrats:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts