Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen comments about bad new transmission mounts. Can anyone recommend a good source and brand for a 1957 standard transmission mounts. Thanks.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,057 Posts
I have seen comments about bad new transmission mounts. Can anyone recommend a good source and brand for a 1957 standard transmission mounts. Thanks.
On a stock 55-57 there is no transmission mout.....Are you talking about bell housing mounts?:confused0006:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
standard transmission mounts

557B210, You are right that they mount by the bell housing. Parts suppliers do list transmission mounts for standard transmissions which maybe isn't an accurate description.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,057 Posts
557B210, You are right that they mount by the bell housing. Parts suppliers do list transmission mounts for standard transmissions which maybe isn't an accurate description.
Just a point of note....The PG mounts to the same place....The mounts look simular....However, they are different.

·
Registered
38,602 Posts
The available bellhousing mounts are not known to be all that great, they tend to sag and lose the bond between the rubber and steel. Trouble is, no matter where you buy them they may come from the same defective manufacturer.

Actually those parts weren't all that great back in the 60s/70s when I first used them. It was definitely a factor that prompted the invention of converting our engine mounting to side mounts and crossmembers.

If you do a search at Chevytalk.com, you may find a thread or two on adding a couple of bolts to the mounts to crutch up that problem.

The replacement engine mounts for cars with side mounts and for 55-57s with side mount conversions also increasingly have problems with the bonding since most of these come from India and China, and they don't seem to have rubber bonding/vulcanizing processes done to former North American quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.