Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
As a millwright, I learned to use safety equipment (PPE) all the time. It annoys me when I watch these car,home reno. shows etc. & see people grinding w/no face shield, sanding w/no dust mask. Young people watching these shows many times don't realize how quick a tragedy could happen!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
A buddy of mine (welder)...was using a grinder one day and it jumped, and it ended up cutting across the top of his hand.......they mended the tendons but so much damage, and nerve damage that he lost most of the use of that hand. Hard lessons......I've also been guilty.....but I try and be diligent these days though. These reminders are always good....thanks for posting.
Eugene

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Did this with a glove on

Imagine if I didn't have the glove on

Attachments

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Safety is # 1. Mike

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hi all,after working in a saw mill for 32 years and now in the welding and fabrication game now for 4 years and being a rescue accredited fire fighter for 28 years ive seen it all before only last week I was using a 4 inch grinder with one of those wire wheels in it and the tiny wires break away and embed in all parts of your body through overalls and even into your face and how long would your eyes last if it wasn't for eye protection,so don't worry what comments your work mates might say re how you look with all the gear on as at the end of the day you will go home from work with all the you came with and one other thing my hearing is as sharp as it ever was thanks to ear muffs,cheers Rob.:blowtiedb::anim_25:
I have pulled out of me lots of those wires from wire wheels on grinders. Many of them were in about half an inch and I didn't even feel them go in and I find them later when something touches them. I won't even think about starting the grinder with a wire wheel without a face shield and even then I try to be aware of the radial direction they sling out.

About 3 years ago, I had a Roloc grinding disk on a die grinder grab and jump while working up under the dash....laid a finger open almost to the bone. Yep, no gloves that time, but I usually have them on, so wear them every time!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
A fact.

Reading all your stories reminds me of an old saying.... :)

"Bad decisions make good stories. " :)
And the old timers would say "Sonny, if you're not going to use your head, you might as well have two butts."

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I never used to never wear gloves & seemed to always have my bare hands in a solvent tank. Back when solvent was really solvent. As I got older it dried my hands out so bad that they would crack & bleed in cold weather. So I started wearing rubber gloves in solvent. Then I discovered that even the constant cleaning of greasy hands would dry them out nearly as bad. Now it is gloves as much as possible & a good creme hand cleaner. Live & learn. :tu

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
Wise words Arnold.
Working around Air Force shops we had and wore all the safety equipment. Rings were not allowed but one of my coworkers wore his wedding ring anyway. Some machinery got too close to his hand, caught the ring, and stripped ALL the meat off his finger, leaving only the bone. Ouch!
However, when at home I seldom wear safety equipment. Only goggles when I grind. Guess that makes me a dumb a$$. Never been hurt yet except for that time a stainless part flew in my face while buffing, but only once there and it made me learn better control techniques so has not happened again.
One day I may be sorry I know. Hey I can always serve a a bad example to others...someones gotta do it... :confused0024:

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
We had a guy in the guard that had an 1/8" bit break in a hand drill one day. It stuck straight into the middle of the right eye of the goggles that he was wearing. Perfectly lined up to drill into the middle of his pupil had he not had the goggles on. The picture made the Air Force Safety magazine. Never forgot that one & how bad it would hurt without the goggles. And I remember it every time that I reach for a drill.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I wear gloves for cleanliness. If they help with safety then that's a plus. I use either nitrile gloves or mechanic's gloves, depending on the job.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had carb cleaner damage the nerves in one of my fingers some years back. It took a year to get full feeling back. Those warnings on the can are not BS.
My dad was a machinist for most of his working life, so he always said to take care of my hands now, or I'd regret it later in life. His would always crack and bleed in the winter.
I also have a 4" gash on my right wrist where a piece of sheetmetal slipped through my hands and found the spot between my glove and shirt sleeve. That was fun. It was an on-the-job accident, and my shop foreman almost fainted. You could see all the blood vessels cut open. I drove myself to the medical aid unit to get it stitched up.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I totally agree Safety first and who cares who calls you a Sissy. I am living proof I should have been a sissy while working in construction. Bad Knees, no knee pads, no safety glasses, cannot see, how to lift, bad back, Cannot hear, no ear protection, Be a sissy if that is what it takes it will pay off in the later years. Take the time to use PPE.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Looked at and bought my first pair of Mechanics Gloves at a NSRA event in Texas one year. They had just come on the market but I don't remember exactly when that happened. I liked the fact that all of a sudden washing my hands at the end of the day didn't come with quite as much pain as it once did from the soap. I have been wearing them consistently since that time although my preferences changed to ones HF used to carry. The Hardy brand they have now are a little too short at the wrist for me. Safety glasses are a standard for anything flying around, ear protection sometimes. Used to be if I needed an MRI for something, I had to go to the eye doctor first to get the metal fragments removed from my eyes. Didn't want the magnetics in the MRI machine doing it! And one of the weird times was working on an old '49 Ford I had, I had used glasses all day long, took them off and then blew off my clothes with an airgun - yep - metal particles right into my eyes. Stupid.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I work in the electric utility industry. I've been in it long enough to remember those tough guys you describe. If you ain't a lineman you ain't shinola was their creed. Those guys worked with creosoted and pentachlorophenol treated timber, that stuff will mess with bare skin. I don't know how they did it. Today's lineman are very keen on hand protection. If you want to know the best gloves, ask a lineman. Elk skin is what I understand is best.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wear gloves for cleanliness. If they help with safety then that's a plus. I use either nitrile gloves or mechanic's gloves, depending on the job.
Me also. Nitrile for painting or greasy jobs, mechanic gloves as appropriate. I developed a nasty rash on my left hand about the size of a silver dollar. Doctor ran some tests and determined it was from washing my hands with strong soaps to remove heavy soils. Prescribed some salve for flare ups.
I also use ear plugs and eye protection all the time. I'm about 40 yrs late on the ear protection as I have constant ringing in my ears. I bought my grandson a large biz of ear plugs a couple of yrs ago, explained how easy they are to use and how annoying tinnitus is.
Just goes to show how smart we get too late for our own good........

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,921 Posts
Photo tells it all. Glasses are safety rated as well. Hard to see the ear muffs, but they are there......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My scars remind me that my past was real.
I work my job outside year round in Michigan. I only use gloves when the temp gets 0°f or less. I just can't use gloves. Todd

·
RIP: 05-24-2019
2,098 Posts
Refinery PPE

I am a Tool Master at various Refineries up and down the West Coast.
Requirement Dictate the Proper Use of PPE,( Personal Protective Equipment) at All Times. Hard Hat, Ear Protection, Safety Glasses, Fire Resistant Clothing, Steel Toed Safety Shoes and Last of all, GLOVES.
I will sign out several Thousands of Dollars worth of Gloves Per Job.
The Most Requested PPE in my Inventory!
Safety First! If you can't Grip It, You may Drop It! CAN'T Happen.
A lot of working at Height on Towers and Scaffolding. Lots of Hand Tools are being used at All Times. Wet Gloves can become a Hazard themselves.
I Never Deny New Gloves to anyone On my Crew.
The Biggest Argument I have with the upper Management is Regarding Gloves.
I will take that Hit Gladly to protect my Guys.:congrats:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ha! Ha! Lot of sissies on here.
I ware them to weld and grind. Not to turn wrenches. Yes I bust knuckles!

I remember a hunting trip when this guy pulled out a pair of gloves to clean his deer. We nearly laughed him out of camp.

I do agree though. My hands are dry and cracking. guess I should put some sissy lotion on them!

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Agree with all, except I can not wear gloves for wrenching or general labor. Tactil sense is too lacking and material be it leather, canvas or synthetic weave gets in the way of getting the job done. Hands are 67 years old and damage is all from the sun. Every time I try to wear gloves I end up ripping them off and throwing em on the ground. The best I've been able to tolerate for work that's not intricate is kidskin.
Jim

21 - 40 of 46 Posts