Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Agree with all, except I can not wear gloves for wrenching or general labor. Tactil sense is too lacking and material be it leather, canvas or synthetic weave gets in the way of getting the job done. Hands are 67 years old and damage is all from the sun. Every time I try to wear gloves I end up ripping them off and throwing em on the ground. The best I've been able to tolerate for work that's not intricate is kidskin.
Jim
I'm in the same boat. I find it hard to wear them to do most anything except welding, too clumsy and can't feel anything. I have a friend who is a lifetime sheetmetal worker, and when you shake his hand the callouses let you KNOW that it's a male hand. It's actually quite impressive. He never wears gloves and has had his share of cuts, but most of them don't make it through the callous. He can actually work a rose bush without getting too hurt. In a way I guess it's natures way of providing home grown protection. Wearing gloves cuts back on that too much for me.

I am a fanatic about safety glasses though. The hard part for me is to find a pair that fits over my cheater glasses.

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
great story. I got a bud just like that a real street fighter when he was young not afraid of anything but in the shop safety glases on gas cans outside. I have devdloped those habits as well. god gave us a body we gotta take care of it. :shakehands:

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I find it hard to wear them to do most anything except welding, too clumsy and can't feel anything. I have a friend who is a lifetime sheetmetal worker, and when you shake his hand the callouses let you KNOW that it's a male hand. It's actually quite impressive. He never wears gloves and has had his share of cuts, but most of them don't make it through the callous. He can actually work a rose bush without getting too hurt. In a way I guess it's natures way of providing home grown protection. Wearing gloves cuts back on that too much for me.

I am a fanatic about safety glasses though. The hard part for me is to find a pair that fits over my cheater glasses.

Latex gloves work great. Having been an automotive mechanic for 6 years, I had to wear gloves to prevent getting grease in and in customer cars. The gloves I use are thin enough that I can feel everything. And my hands don't get greasy and gross. I always wear gloves at work or at home.

Anything bigger than latex gloves doesn't work for me. You should try to give it a shot if you haven't used them.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Latex gloves work great. Having been an automotive mechanic for 6 years, I had to wear gloves to prevent getting grease in and in customer cars. The gloves I use are thin enough that I can feel everything. And my hands don't get greasy and gross. I always wear gloves at work or at home.

Anything bigger than latex gloves doesn't work for me. You should try to give it a shot if you haven't used them.
You talking about the blue ones?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
You talking about the blue ones?
Yep those. I use the blue gloves by mixroflex. Or the diamond grip latex gloves. Stay away from boxes of gloves at harbor freight. They're too thin and just rip to pieces.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
In my very younger days I worked in a foundry on military armor as a welder. Using E7018 5/16 rods, I have scars/burn spots, all over the tops of my ankles from not always wearing my spats. The hot sparks would roll into my safety shoes. Pants and shirts would be full of holes. Did not use welders jacket and pants. Never used a respirator. Also use to smoke while welding. Young and stupid.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts