Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
Why would you consider that, that's not the only fish in the sea. Buy used parts and have them polished or learn how to polish them. Then you find out how many man-hours it takes to restore and polish a piece of stainless. It's all hand done, no way to automate it.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,256 Posts
Until recently those parts in the photo are hard to find in rechromable condition. Except for a few early 55's they are stamped steel and flash chrome plated. Most plating shops will reject them as to many pits to repair.

A lot of times the plating shop will even over buff them and warp them.

I had to resort to modification of hardtop trim and have it chrome plated. I got so good at it, I have done about 100 pair over the years and they are on lots of show cars.

Mikey

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,292 Posts
I had the garnish moldings chrome plated that go around the windshield. I stripped the paint before i took them to the shop. Turned out great and 600 bucks

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
I don't know. Seems like alot of money to me. I'm sure there is much work involved. Heck, for a few dollars more, I'll sell you my entire '55 vert., lol, Carmine.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,256 Posts
All you need to know about those parts is, they are CONVERTIBLE ONLY and thus the price is based on availability......and they have ALWAYS had issues.

Mikey

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Until recently those parts in the photo are hard to find in rechromable condition. Except for a few early 55's they are stamped steel and flash chrome plated. Most plating shops will reject them as to many pits to repair.

A lot of times the plating shop will even over buff them and warp them.

I had to resort to modification of hardtop trim and have it chrome plated. I got so good at it, I have done about 100 pair over the years and they are on lots of show cars.

Mikey
I was wondering if that was possible to do. Take 2d ht moldings and modify and have them chromed. What really is the big difference between the two??, Carmine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts