Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
that driver was too stupid to use the Fire Extinguisher had he had one... He even threw the heavy fire extinguisher up in the air down the street when he was unsuccessful in putting out the fire and almost hit a lady in the head!

I was trying to figure out what was feeding the fire? Did the idiot leave his ignition on running the fuel pump? or was it burning plastic parts in the engine compartment??

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
that driver was too stupid to use the Fire Extinguisher had he had one... He even threw the heavy fire extinguisher up in the air down the street when he was unsuccessful in putting out the fire and almost hit a lady in the head!

I was trying to figure out what was feeding the fire? Did the idiot leave his ignition on running the fuel pump? or was it burning plastic parts in the engine compartment??
It sure looks like it was being fed by fuel still pumping to it from the key being left on running the pump.

·
Registered
65,785 Posts
one of first things I put in 56 (along with seatbelts), right by shifter(easy reach). :tu

Attachments

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
It sure looks like it was being fed by fuel still pumping to it from the key being left on running the pump.
That's the way it appeared to me also, Bruce... and it's why he could not put the fire out with the fire extinguisher. It's a wonder it didn't blow up...

'Most idiots would even know to turn off the ignition key if there was an engine compartment fire'... but this one apparently did not!

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
That's the way it appeared to me also, Bruce... and it's why he could not put the fire out with the fire extinguisher. It's a wonder it didn't blow up...

'Most idiots would even know to turn off the ignition key if there was an engine compartment fire'... but this one apparently did not!
It was probably one of those cute little glass fuel filters that did what it is designed to do, FAIL.

Can't fix stupid! :hammer:

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
My immediate reaction was to use that big tee he was wearing to try to smother it while still small. Not slap the flames to make them grow.
Jim

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have 3 in my drivers. Small one under the hood, small one in the trunk, medium in passenger compartment. Probably overkill, but fire damaged cars are very, very hard to restore.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It looked like he got the fire out and then it flamed back up which makes me believe it was an electric fuel pump feeding the fire. If he had put an oil pressure switch in the power side it would have turned the pump off when the engine died. Cheap insurance for about $30. It is probably not uncommon to panic and leave the key on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It was probably one of those cute little glass fuel filters that did what it is designed to do, FAIL.

Can't fix stupid! :hammer:
I had used those glass gas filters and had gasoline leaks twice. I thought the first one was just a defective seal. When it happened the second time, I threw the damn thing out. Luckily, I noticed the leak shortly after I started the car. I always check the engine compartment before I take her out. It's a practice I'll always follow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never had a fire extinguisher inside my car, well I do have at home. They have a small fire extingusiger..looks like a 1 liter cola but not sure if that is enough for the whole car just in case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts