Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What leaf spring and shock combo to get the fender lip of the body just to the top of the tire? Tire is a 275/60/15 diameter is close to the original tire. Thinking about getting a 2" lift 5 leaf spring with a regular set of shocks. Thanks

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Station wagon springs will usually get a sedan up that high. They will also make the ride firmer, so be prepared for that also.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,179 Posts
Wow, that's tall! I think mine is even with the top of the wheel not the tire. That's in a 55.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,179 Posts
A thought though, I think I would stay away from stiff springs and instead have regular springs arched more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a 56 4dr sedan. I want to be able to run 275/60/15 tires. It has air shocks and a ten inch shackle kit. I want to remove both. Also has weld on ladder bars.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
The only issue with regular springs arced more is maintaining the clearance you want. Softer springs will allow for a nicer ride, but will also allow more travel. So if there's any question of tire to body clearance you'll want to also increase spring rate.
The combination of a regular spring, and air shocks would allow you to adjust the ride, but you'll definitely need to put in a upper shock crossmember kit to keep the air shocks from breaking out the upper mount in the trunk pan. Air shocks back in the day caused a good number of upper shock mounts to fail.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I could go with the 5 leaf 2” lift from eaton springs and see how it sits. Is a shock bar needed with the monroe load level shocks? Will those shocks change ride height? Tony what size tires are you running?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What leaf spring and shock combo to get the fender lip of the body just to the top of the tire? Tire is a 275/60/15 diameter is close to the original tire. Thinking about getting a 2" lift 5 leaf spring with a regular set of shocks. Thanks
Where are you located ? If you want the top of the wheel at the top of the fender, I may have what you want in NC. Eaton springs I special ordered was higher than I wanted so I replaced them. If you are interested PM or call me at 336 687-7577 Ronald

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I will call earl williams and order one for a 1 piece frame. Still on the fence about what rear springs to get. I installed a Leed brake kit and redid the front end with stock springs, control arm bushings, tierods,balljoints,idler bushings, bump stops etc. I didn't buy tires yet so i could get 2556015 street slicks and see what happens with a 640 hp 434 sbc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yes...are they different? I guess in hindsight I should have cut the ladder bars off and went 4 link and ford 9". It has a 4:10 posi in it right now with strange axles. I was going to see how long it would last.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
yes...are they different? I guess in hindsight I should have cut the ladder bars off and went 4 link and ford 9". It has a 4:10 posi in it right now with strange axles. I was going to see how long it would last.
Ladder bars work extremely well to put power to the ground, and as good or better than a 4 link does if set up correctly. I run ladder bars on my last 3 builds, and my Falcon was a 464cu. in. BBC with a Super T10 4 speed, and 3.73 posi out back. With 11" wrinkle walls I ran at the strip, and 10" cheater slicks on the street they worked great, and everything held up great.
I'd guess your defining factor will be how well your drag radials hook up. I used to run M&H drag radials in 275/60/15 on my Austin gasser, and they really hooked up well. So good I ran them at the drags also. It's a ladder bar setup, with QA1 coilovers. I'm running pie crust Towel City slicks on it now, just because I preferred the nostalgic look better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I ended up getting the 3” arch springs. I have them on. I had to cut the old “weld on “ladder bars off to get the rear end to roll and match the spring seat on the rear. Now I have a couple questions again ...do I have to get a longer shock? Does anybody have the 3 inch spring with a traction bar set up like the Cal tracks?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Tough to say if you'll need longer shocks? If you have the old shocks I'd test fit them, and see if they still have a little room to avoid topping out. Did your ladder bars not have adjustable heim ends where they mount to the axle brackets? I make mine with one heim and one heim with inline adjuster. So I have plenty of adjustment to raise or lower the front attachment point, and tune the ladder bars for traction changes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The ladder bars on mine were old. They were welded to the rear housing and bolted to a plate that was welded to the frame. I was talking to earl Williams he’s not sure if his traction bars will clear the arch of the spring. On a good note my shackles don’t flip when i put the car up and down. Im going to try and post a picture later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok today i finished polishing off the welds and painting the rear end. Tried putting on rear shocks but they are to short with the mcveigh 3” springs. Dos anyone know of a longer shock?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts