Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted up, but I still have been lurking.

I was wondering if the 235 will be able to handle after market A/C.

I need to do something with my '55 and I'm trying to decide with direction to go. I REALLY want to put fuel injection in it and thought about just converting the 235 to EFI and adding A/C.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
E

**Oops.. I meant to post this in the Super Stock Forum.**

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
No reason a 235 won't handle an aftermarket compressor. The newer compressors use a lot less power than the old style compressors. I have a 164 ci Corvair that came stock with a A6 compressor. I put a Sanden compressor on it and I was able to dissable the idle speed solenoid, because it doesn't load the engine down at idle, like the A6 did.
I think Classic Auto Air has a compressor bracket for a 6 cyl.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Don.

That helps me figure out my options, but I still don't know if I should go the V8 route. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks
E

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who's EFI unit would you use on your 235 6 cyl?

David
Well.. If I do decide to keep the 235, I would go one of two routes.

1) Affordable EFI sells a complete kit for about $1,200 to $1,300. (A little pricey for my taste.)

2) Or build my own using GM 250 inline 6 HEI distributor with either a 3.1L V6 or a 4.3L V6 TBI, PCM/ECU, and harness.

I'm guessing that option #2 can be done for under $350, not including a cat.
Right now, there are some e-bay companies who have the HEI for sale for under $80. The computer will cost $35 to $50. I'm guessing the wiring harness will cost $50 to $150. Then the fuel pump will probably cost at least $100.

There's a Youtube video of a truck, with a 235, that was converted to fuel injection. So, I'm borrowing the idea from other people who have done this.

E

·
Senior Member 1 Silver Star Chat Room Moderator
1,418 Posts
Keep us posted if you do the conversion... I would like to see the details.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep us posted if you do the conversion... I would like to see the details.
I definitely will.

It's a hard decision though.

It all comes down to the money. If I install EFI, I'm hoping to get 1 to 2 MPG increase, which may get me up to 16 to 18 MPGs. If I install an adapter and install a TH350 or 400, I might get 18 to 20 MPGs. However, if I go the V8/700R combo, I potentially can get 18 to 24 MPGs..

And YES, miles per gallon does matter to me because it's going to be my daily driver once again.. :cool:

235 with fuel injection like the sound of that :happy0030:
It does. I would do it in a heart-beat if I could easily matte up TH350 to it without having to buy the adapter that cost $350..

E

1 - 8 of 8 Posts