Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing over to a stick instead of the automatic in my '55. I have a Saginaw 4-speed out of a '74 Pontiac GTO (it has a 350 Pontiac) and the bell housing/clutch etc for a Chevy. I haven't taken anything apart yet because I'm not sure about the tranny fitting a Chevy flywheel (the input shaft).

I've tried searching the web for answers and haven't found anything.

Anyone know for sure? Are the GM trannys the same?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am 99.9% sure that the bolt pattern would be the same.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I am thinking that the car will be a blast to drive with a stick. I don't think I'm going to seriously race it, more of a quick and noisy street car!

I'll pull the pontiwreck out and see how it looks. Any easy hints on how to add a third pedal to a tri-five?

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Plenty of used manual pedal assemblies out there for sale, just swap it in. Watch the classifieds here or e-bay.

Don

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I am thinking of changing over to a stick instead of the automatic in my '55. I have a Saginaw 4-speed out of a '74 Pontiac GTO (it has a 350 Pontiac) and the bell housing/clutch etc for a Chevy. I haven't taken anything apart yet because I'm not sure about the tranny fitting a Chevy flywheel (the input shaft).

I've tried searching the web for answers and haven't found anything.

Anyone know for sure? Are the GM trannys the same?

Thanks,

Mike
mike
just remember, if u start winging it<RPMS> install a scattershield :congrats:, It might save your leg, or even wifie legs

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I run a BW Super T-10 out of a 76 455 Trans Am that I parted out 25 years ago in my 55. I just had to make sure that I bought a 26 spline clutch which is a year thing not Chevy vs Pontiac.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts
Thanks, guys. I am thinking that the car will be a blast to drive with a stick. I don't think I'm going to seriously race it, more of a quick and noisy street car!I'll pull the pontiwreck out and see how it looks. Any easy hints on how to add a third pedal to a tri-five?Later,Mike
Mike.....You can either buy this kit: http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-clutch-pedal-kit-1955-1956.html Or get them on ebay or place an ad in our classifieds section of the forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts