Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time is fast approaching when the car goes into storage for another season and the long awaited LS swap begins. I've got many of the systems figured out and parts on order. The swap will be a LQ4/4L80E into a '55 Belair now sporting a 265 and PG. I am not planning on running AC in the car for now if that makes a difference.

Looking through the build recipes, I see lots of mention of using the stock radiator but the trend in the pictures section seems to be aftermarket aluminum rads. Will the stock '55 rad work to cool an LS? If not, what are you guys going with for a replacement? Is there a desirable u-pull wrecking yard option that will do the trick ?

I have a decent budget for this build but it will not allow for big buck, aftermarket racing type rads. Any guidance you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,889 Posts
the stock rad is fully capable of cooling a ls engine, the only issue is that the hose sizes are different stock is 1.5 upper/1.75 lower the LS is 1.25 upper/1.5 lower. just need a little thought when doing the hoses.

·
Registered
36,978 Posts
Some of the aluminum radiator choices are not all that "big buck".

I bought mine many years ago, but I have a PRC radiator that cost way less than $500. Check with PRC, they have (at least used to) offer a cross flow 27" x 16-1/2" radiator that would mount to a stock radiator support, in front. I don't know what the current price would be, but it's probably affordable. And they will put any size hose bung you want on it.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,891 Posts
If you look at a stock LS rad you would laugh they are not large at all thin and just large enough to cool the motor err keep it at 210* most times.

If the stock rad is in decent shape run it might save you some money. On the hoses are close enough to run and slip them on but the lay outs typically are not ideal. And what water pump you use car vs truck will effect hose choice. I have used a tee fitting on the upper hose which allowed for the LS steam line from the head to tee into. Lower made and adapter hose to get it how I wanted it. But all that said if you have the budget you can get an affordable setup as rick mentioned with hose sizes and placement as mentioned.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input gents.

I'm leaning towards the original rad right now. Knowing the actual hose sizes I'm dealing with will make this easier for sure. Good idea to try and incorporate the steam line into whatever adapter I wind up manufacturing.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the input gents.

I'm leaning towards the original rad right now. Knowing the actual hose sizes I'm dealing with will make this easier for sure. Good idea to try and incorporate the steam line into whatever adapter I wind up manufacturing.

Thanks again.
How did your original radiator work out?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did wind up soldering a bung to the top tank for the steam line and the hoses were able to fit the original rad with a bit of finessing. The original rad is more than enough to cool the LS, works like a charm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did wind up soldering a bung to the top tank for the steam line and the hoses were able to fit the original rad with a bit of finessing. The original rad is more than enough to cool the LS, works like a charm.
Thanks for replying, probably saved me 3000 dollars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts