Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a stock 55' belair transmission bolt right up to a small block 350 or is there some sort of adapter plate needed?
-Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If your talking about the stock cast iron 2 speed powerglide, I would have to ask why you would want to use it after upgrading to a 350 ci motor. there are plently of other trannies that will bolt up with less trouble and are more servicable. I hear lots of guys on the NCRS web site complaining about these trannies and the difficulty in finding parts and shops that will do the job. I have one in my 60 Vette and yes it has an adapter or mounting ring needed to mount it to the stock 283 which is basically the same block as the 350. You may then encounter problems in mounting your starter!

Don

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Will a stock 55' belair transmission bolt right up to a small block 350 or is there some sort of adapter plate needed?
-Thanks for the help
First what tranny are you talking about, the 3-spd stick or the PG automatic? The 3-spd will bolt up to the 350 by way of the stock '55 belhousing just as if you were putting in another '55 engine. If the PG the V8 version will bolt up, the 6-cyl will not as the block bolt pattern on the adapter ring is different than the V8. Some say all you would need to do is change to the V8 adapter ring but others say there are other differences in the PG itself, I can't say for sure there. In either case with the stock flywheel or flex plate you would use the stock starter that was in the car.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
But again...why would you want to use an old style, stock starter with the bellhousing mounting ears? In the event of a starter failure, you will have to locate another original starter or starter internal parts for a rebuild or convert to a later style starter utilizing the block mounts. Why not just convert it now and be done with the old style starter with all those headaches. After all you can buy a late style starter (new or rebuilt) at any of the Pep-boys or other auto parts outlets, but unless you know a rebuilder with parts you will be relegated to e-Bay trying to replace a burnt out original starter. I put mine on the shelf and went with a new late style for my 350 ci conversion, Cost was about $60.00, and it is wound for higher compression engines than the original. Works great and I dont worry about the original unit checking out in the Boonies somewhere when I'm on a road trip! If this one does it's easily replaced from readily available sources!

Just my two cents.

Don

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
But again...why would you want to use an old style, stock starter with the bellhousing mounting ears?
Works fine and lasts a long time.:) Actually I was trying to answer his question w/o telling him he had to swap to side mounts in order to install a 350 because he may only want to replace a tired engine and not get into a lot of modifications. The old system works fine if that is what he is trying to do.

Works great and I dont worry about the original unit checking out in the Boonies somewhere when I'm on a road trip! If this one does it's easily replaced from readily available sources! Just my two cents. Don
I live in the boonies and I don't worry about it.:) I've taken more than one '57 across country from coast to coast as well as several road trips with others with tri-fives and stock starters were the least of our problems. We had a U-joint fail, a harmonic balancer start to slip on itself, and an automatic that quit shifting for some reason, a radiator blow a seam that I had to fix in a gas station with a torch, and the list goes on. If the stock tri-five starter were to fail and you couldn't get another match you could still get a new starter and change the tri-five nose to the new one, problem solved.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Works fine and lasts a long time. Actually I was trying to answer his question w/o telling him he had to swap to side mounts in order to install a 350 because he may only want to replace a tired engine and not get into a lot of modifications. The old system works fine if that is what he is trying to do.QUOTE said:
This gets my vote for best post ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
why is it when someone asks a perfectly valid question someone always says "why would you want to do that" insted of answering the question? This gets annoying. I'm trying to do the same swap and would like to know will a 350 bolt to a v8 ironglide without modification such as flexplate, starter ECT.?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
why is it when someone asks a perfectly valid question someone always says "why would you want to do that" instead of answering the question? This gets annoying. I'm trying to do the same swap and would like to know will a 350 bolt to a v8 ironglide without modification such as flexplate, starter ECT.?
hotrodrancher, first welcome aboard. glad to have you on the forum.
I agree with you on people not directly answering the question. Original poster may have reasons for his question, wants to update engine but keep the car as original as possible, budget issues etc. To answer your question and also 55hrdtop's yes the 350 will bolt up to the original 55-57 V8 bell housing or transmission adapter. Best to use a 57 style starter with the enclosed solenoid linkage as it is easier to find parts for and in an emergency you can swap the nose casting to use a newer starter. If you are using a 350 made before 1985 the flywheel or flex plate will also bolt up. On the 1986 and newer blocks the flywheel will have to be changed as the bolt pattern was changed because of the one piece rear main seal. If a stick shift will need a 168 tooth flywheel. if an auto I am not sure if any of the newer flex plates will work with the cast iron powerglide torque converter, might be someone on here that knows for sure.
Hope this helpes.
Tom

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Old Automatic?

If you are talking about an old 55 Automatic, I do not believe you can make it work. I tried it once. For one, there is a shape on a newer crankshaft, like a counterbalance weight that will not allow the flywheel to sit flat on the end of the crankshaft. The old 265's had a round end to the crank. Physically the bell housing fits, but I seem to remember something about the dowel pins also either not lining up, or there was no provision for them on the transmission. I am trying to recall things from 30 years ago.....

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
why is it when someone asks a perfectly valid question someone always says "why would you want to do that" insted of answering the question?
I don't see a problem with that. I have done things that I wished some one would have ask me , why are you doing that?:sign0020:
Jim

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
why is it when someone asks a perfectly valid question someone always says "why would you want to do that" insted of answering the question? This gets annoying. I'm trying to do the same swap and would like to know will a 350 bolt to a v8 ironglide without modification such as flexplate, starter ECT.?
Why ask Why? I see a lot of post from Guys that are not sure what they doing. Most of the answers are already here in a post, they just did not know.
When you start make mods to a car, you can spend a little or a lot. depending on what you really are try to do.
As for the 350 in 55 the you can make it work with a PG or 3 speed. and still keep stock mounts.
http://www.classicchevy.com/catalogsearch/result/?search_year=1955&q=flywheel&x=36&y=11

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't think the original poster cares one way or another. He hasn't answered any of the questions here and hasn't posted in over 4 years.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I guess hotrodrancher got us good, and on his first post.
Jim

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
How long do you think it would hold up with the 350?
Like any thing it would depend on how good of shape the transmission is now and how he plans to Treated.
There are still a lot of stock 55, 56,and 57's that as still running fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Works fine and lasts a long time.:) Actually I was trying to answer his question w/o telling him he had to swap to side mounts in order to install a 350 because he may only want to replace a tired engine and not get into a lot of modifications. The old system works fine if that is what he is trying to do.

I live in the boonies and I don't worry about it.:) I've taken more than one '57 across country from coast to coast as well as several road trips with others with tri-fives and stock starters were the least of our problems. We had a U-joint fail, a harmonic balancer start to slip on itself, and an automatic that quit shifting for some reason, a radiator blow a seam that I had to fix in a gas station with a torch, and the list goes on. If the stock tri-five starter were to fail and you couldn't get another match you could still get a new starter and change the tri-five nose to the new one, problem solved.
May sound silly but when swaping the nose do you still bolt it to the bellhousing or to the block?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bellhousing swap questions

This looks like a good place to ask this. At this time my clutch is out and starter is starting to drag, going to be replacing soon when I have the engine out for other reasons. Really dont want to deal with the stock starter anymore. The 55 now has the stock bellhousing on a 4 speed mounted to a 350. My question is what is involved in not using the stock bellhousing? Which oem bellhousing should I look for? Also will switching bellhousing mean I have to switch the flywheel and pressure plate, clutch is out but would like to use the same hays pressure plate? Also will the stock clutch z bar linkage work with a newer bellhousing?

Thanks for your time and help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts