Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need some suggestions on buying a winch for my garage. I do not plan on taking out any engines and things like that. All I want to do with it is to take heavy objects up into the rafters and down again when I need to. I would like a electrical model, since I think that would be better for me since my upper body strength isn't what it used to be also I don't want the chains from manual winches always hanging in the way. Any suggestions? :bowtier:

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
May not suit you but a buddy of mine had a steel beam H pattern put in, he has a chain winch that he can slide the width of his garage when he needs to mainly putt engines out

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I installed a 3 inch track with a trolley and installed a Harbor Freight 1,100 lb winch. I use it to move engines and heavy parts up into the 2nd floor I installed in one side of my building. It is extreamly handy. Link and picture attached. They also have heavier rated ones. Right now it is on sale for $149.99. You should also be able to use a 20% off coupon to buy it. That is what I did when I bought mine.
Tom

http://www.harborfreight.com/1100-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60345-9279.html

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
F.I. 57 Belair.......I bought that same one today,but only rated for 440lbs.thats all I need, I am not planning on any engine removal. It was on sale . I am trying to figure out how to mount it, but I think I have it figured out. If you can , send me a picture here or thru a PM, on how you have it mounted, it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it will be better than my idea.
Thanks. :bowtieb: :shakehands:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
F.I. 57 Belair.......I bought that same one today,but only rated for 440lbs.thats all I need, I am not planning on any engine removal. It was on sale . I am trying to figure out how to mount it, but I think I have it figured out. If you can , send me a picture here or thru a PM, on how you have it mounted, it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it will be better than my idea.
Thanks. :bowtieb: :shakehands:
I have one also, it works well but be careful what you park underneath it, on a hot day mine dripped oil on the white convertible top of my Mustang.

·
Registered
37,259 Posts
I typed up a reply earlier, and then Windows 8 or my computer ate it.

I'll be more brief than my lost post.

Watch the line pull ratings. The linked item seems to be shown in a double pull configuration. Meaning that the direct line pull is 550 lb.

Many automotive winches are rated for use pulling a car up an incline. For instance 3500 lb @ 20% incline. Which means the line pull is 600 lb in this example.

I bought a light duty HF winch and put anchor bolts for it in both of my useable bays in my shop as well as in the garage attached to the house. I can use it to pull an inoperative car, a body on the rotisserie, or a rolling chassis back into the shop after rolling them outside. By myself, no grunting.

Next step is something to lift things up to the 2nd floor of my shop. Need more than a winch mount for that, I'll need to provide a path. With a trap door or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts