Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a '57 Bel Air convertible. I am trying to find out if I have an electric windshield wiper motor or a vacuum motor. I think it is a vacuum motor. If anyone has a picture of one could you please send it to me at [email protected]. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
the vacuum would have a hose hooked to no wires and the electric would have a wire hooked to it from the balast resister for power

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do see a wire entering the end of the motor plus I now see a stamping on the motor that says 12v...therefore it must be an electric motor. Thanks!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,692 Posts
The sizes are not in relation to one another

Electric

Vacuum

·
Registered
7 Posts
The vacuum motors for the wiper blades were junk when they were new. Vacuum changes on the intake manifold based on acceleration affecting the speed of the wipers. You can buy a vacuum gasket kit but put the money towards a rebuilt electric. They are swappable because that's exactly what I did. When you turn the wiper switch it pulls a cable switch supplying 12Vs to the motor. It is a two speed motor which is good news. Mine works great and the electric was considered an original upgrade. Bo L

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The vacuum motors for the wiper blades were junk when they were new. Vacuum changes on the intake manifold based on acceleration affecting the speed of the wipers. You can buy a vacuum gasket kit but put the money towards a rebuilt electric. They are swappable because that's exactly what I did. When you turn the wiper switch it pulls a cable switch supplying 12Vs to the motor. It is a two speed motor which is good news. Mine works great and the electric was considered an original upgrade. Bo L
Ahhh...another Missouri member....glad to see ya here....what part of the great Showme State are you from?:shakehands:bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
439 Posts
I like it when they stop in random places as you mash the gas pedal -- then they beat the window to death when you let off the pedal. Ours will be on the road again soon and I was going to leave the vacuum "motor" in place for now so the my sons can experience the fun of vaccum wipers. Hope my unit still works after all these year. Hate to have to rebuild it just to have fun for a few months, to then replace it with electric :)

I can recall "planning" your shifts during heavy rains so the water was cleared when you wanted it to be.

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
I like it when they stop in random places as you mash the gas pedal -- then they beat the window to death when you let off the pedal. Ours will be on the road again soon and I was going to leave the vacuum "motor" in place for now so the my sons can experience the fun of vaccum wipers. Hope my unit still works after all these year. Hate to have to rebuild it just to have fun for a few months, to then replace it with electric :)

I can recall "planning" your shifts during heavy rains so the water was cleared when you wanted it to be.
http://www.wiperman.com .....check this guy out ,:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts