Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1957 Chevy Bel Air convertible back in August. So far I haven't had it out in the rain and I've used a waterless wash system to clean the car. What concerns me are the gaps on both the left and right side front windows. The gaps are between the outside of the glass the outside of the window channel. You can see what I'm taking about in the picture. There are no gaps on the inside of the glass and the quarter panel windows are good with no gaps inside or out.

Is it normal to have gaps on the outside of the front windows? Rain/wash water could easily drain into the door channel and if so how can it drain out? I'm worried about rust from water accumulation. Thanks -Brian

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
There may be something missing there. Even if everything is there and correct rain will still get inside the doors and quarters. Water flows through the fur.
I believe the best thing is; make sure there are drain holes in the bottom so it can drain out.
I am going to spray that oily rust inhibitor inside my doors and quarters also. The idea being that the water may find its way to the drain holes better. Others here may have some better ways to deal with it.

Something like this... http://www.eastwood.com/sem-rust-preventer-qt.html
You can probably get it locally.

Don

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,024 Posts
Hardtops and convertibles didn't have fur strips on the front doors. There is a roller to support the glass in the middle.
There are drain slots at the bottom of the doors with rubber flaps. ...... http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-door-drain-seals-lower-1955-1958.html ..... Many cars didn't have a rust problem at the bottom of the doors, after more than 50 years exposed to the elements all the time, so an occasional washing shouldn't hurt it.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,171 Posts
Remember this car was designed and built in 1956-7. They never intended it to be water tight by Todays standards.

Looking at the photo:

1) There is nothing missing on the outside of the window. The water was intended to go through and out the bottom of the door. Really never happened that way, becasue after a few years of dust and dirt going with the rain, it rusted out the bottoms of the doors.
2) The fuzzy you see on the inside is not even intended to be where it is. The location for it is lower on the garnish, and out of sight. 55-6's don"t even have a place for it on the inside.
3) Years ago I tried to adapt some late model rubber seals on the outside of modern cars. The problem with them is they would not ride on the window well, going down. Then when the window got almost to the fully down position, the lip hit the chrome frame and would bunch up/hold the window up. So I gave up.
4) You own a convertible, right, as one of my buddies told me: Put the top down, and drive it that way.......only not in the rain. LOL

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but it is what it is.

Oh by the way, congrats on the purchase. I own a 55 convert and spent 23 years restoring it. I never drive it.......i'ts toooooooooooo nice! So I am building a new project.

Mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Water do run down inside the doors. That is why there is waterproof moisture barriers an the inside side of doors even on modern cars. The door interior panels would soak with water if not.
Ed

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hardtops and convertibles didn't have fur strips on the front doors. There is a roller to support the glass in the middle.
There are drain slots at the bottom of the doors with rubber flaps. ...... http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-door-drain-seals-lower-1955-1958.html ..... Many cars didn't have a rust problem at the bottom of the doors, after more than 50 years exposed to the elements all the time, so an occasional washing shouldn't hurt it.
My '57 4door HT has fur both inside and outside on the front doors. Doesn't touch the glass only the chrome frame at the bottom of the window when it is rolled all the way up and chrome frame at top of window when rolled all the way down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts