Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on restoring my driver's door window and vent window...The window regulator is out of the door...Since it is the driver's side, I'd like to rebuild it and replace the three rollers...I have attached a good tech article from Danchuk that I am following...I would appreciate any tips and tricks that others have learned from their experience in doing this job.

Found these threads: 55 hardtop window regulators and Window regulator rebuild, and a guide to window and Restoring window regulators or replacing

I'm seeing that the only repair parts that anyone carries for regulator rebuild/repair are the rollers/rivets and the main gear plate.
Has anyone ever found a repair/replacement kit for the crank gear mechanism?

Attachments

·
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope....they have a replacement gear mechanism for 55/56 trucks, but they don't interchange. We need someone to get on that project.
I'm almost afraid to take the gear mechanism apart for fear of what I will find...But, I do want to replace the 65 year old grease in there...I do have a spare regulator (or two) around that I can rob parts from. if things look too bad

·
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only thing I have to offer is be careful with that spring- it stores way more energy that I assumed and it took the tip of my finger right off (healed up ok- but took stitches and time).
I know this ain’t your first rodeo, but figured better to mention it than leave it unsaid.
Thank you so much...I did see that you mentioned that in another thread...I plan to wear heavy gloves and use a good pair of vice grips.

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
Pops, I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in mine and used a needle attachment end on my grease gun to squirt grease into the gear/spring mechanism (yes there is a spring in there too). I drilled the hole in what would end up as the top. I used a dab of gear oil resistant silicone sealer to close up the hole. After taking the first one apart....what a PITA with drilling rivets and that little spring came loose. You can get the needle just about anywhere that sells grease/grease guns. https://www.autozone.com/grease-and...rmance-tool-grease-injector-needle/293490_0_0

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
This is a page from your regulator rebuild article you have. I circled and added an arrow of the general place I drilled. The hole could have probably been smaller than 1/8 also. 1/8 seemed to allow for some oozing to go on. Use thinner grease too. I would go with the smallest hole the needle would work with. Don't drill too close to the base as that is where that spring is. Look at the article and you will see the best place for the hole. When greasing, I found if you turn it into different positions it would allow for more grease to go in.
Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Helmet Event

·
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was able to remove the large spring without harming myself or others...I then decided to remove the gear mechanism from the regulator body...Drilled the heads (only) off the three rivets. then punched them through...Popped the cover off the mechanism...Somehow during the process the spring popped off...It was quite a bear to get back on...Had to use a pair of vise-grips and hemostats.

The gears look pretty good...However, the spline for the crank, not so much...I'll have to take a look at my spares to see how they look.

Wood Tool Metal Fashion accessory Ingredient

Gas Household hardware Wood Metal Door

Wood Snails and slugs Snail Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Metal Auto part Automotive tire Nickel

Wood Circle Auto part Button Metal

·
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pops, I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in mine and used a needle attachment end on my grease gun to squirt grease into the gear/spring mechanism (yes there is a spring in there too). I drilled the hole in what would end up as the top. I used a dab of gear oil resistant silicone sealer to close up the hole. After taking the first one apart....what a PITA with drilling rivets and that little spring came loose. You can get the needle just about anywhere that sells grease/grease guns. https://www.autozone.com/grease-and...rmance-tool-grease-injector-needle/293490_0_0
Great tip...Had not thought of doing that :) (y)

I may have one of those needles

·
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure why, but Eckler's roller replacement article indicates that there are two rollers per regulator...However, there are three...Found that out here, during this Danchuk video and verified, when it was removed:

Also, there was some disparity as to whether the roller rivets are 1/4" or 5/16...ECC tells me that the originals are 5/16" and replacement regulators use a 1/4"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts