Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the vacumn type set up on my 57 Chevy. Last week I started having a problem with the wipers working after using some engine degreaser and high pressure washer to help get rid of years of accumalated oil, grease, and dirt in the engine area. I didn't think of protecting the windshield wiper box from the spray. The vacumn hoses look good to casual inspection. At the same time I also adjusted the automatic Choke on the carb. I have no idea whether adjusting the choke would affect the wipers , but thought I would mention it. Remember I am in the learning stage on motor self-repair. Any direction on a possible cause or fix for the wipers would be appreciated. Right now I can turn the wipers on and they swing out and stop. I turn the switch off and they return to the start position. Every once in a while they will make a second pass before stopping.
Thanks all.

Steve

·
Registered
277 Posts
Vacume wipers are easy and fun to rebuild or just take apart and clean. Take off car and CARFULLY take the thing apart trying to keep the gaskets in one piece. Someone here will pipe up and tell you where to get rebuild parts also. Clean unit up good inside and out. It works on the principle of air suction so clean paddle up, grease paddle and paddle bowl up with Vasiline. In order 4 it all to work you need a good vacume sorce and lines. If all else fails I have good used elecric wipers available. Lon

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Before taking it apart (unless you just want to) you can try putting a few drops of 3 in 1 oil in thru the little pipe the vacumn hose connects to. The motor needs a little oil to help seal the leather seal on the wiper blade inside the motor. If the leather dries out it will loose its seal to the inside of the bowl.
This may not do it, but often times it does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts