Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently learned from a member that the cars had a fibrous element in the mechanical coupling where the electric wiper motor drives the drum shaft assembly. Without that element there is 1/16" slop between the coupling members which can be noisy as well as ultimately being destructive. Does anyone know of a good substitute for that element? I am assuming it would have to be somewhat compressible and no more than 1/32" thick. This photo shows the two halves of the coupling and the extra space between the two.
Automotive tire Wood Auto part Gas Bumper

·
Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the first time I've ever seen that part. I had envisioned a center hole to clear the weld and at least one hole on the side for the tang. I have some black cow hide that might be ok for this. I had also thought about red rubber gasket material. If it boils down to what I have on hand it will be the cow hide. What do you suppose the original material was? Whatever, it was long gone on my car leaving no trace. Speaking of tangs, the edges on my part are worn pretty badly. I'm contemplating hitting both sides of the tang with my mig and then grinding it back down to the same width as at the base. For my welding skill level that is going to be a challenge.

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,620 Posts
I think they might have be made out of "fish paper insulation". It comes in different thicknesses. Gasket material would be a lot easier to work with. The fish paper is very stiff and strong. Now if someone could tell me how fish paper got it's name I would be very interested.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Bill, Thanks for posting that pic, I was in the same situation wondering what took up the clearance in that join. Has the gasket got a 90 degree fold both sides or only one. Its difficult to tell from the photo. If you could take another pic slightly rotated that would be great. Also do you know how thick the gasket is. cheers Ian

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I think they might have be made out of "fish paper insulation". It comes in different thicknesses. Gasket material would be a lot easier to work with. The fish paper is very stiff and strong. Now if someone could tell me how fish paper got it's name I would be very interested.
fishpaper An insulating paper, often fiber- or oilcloth-like, used in the construction of transformers and coils. [Historical Note: Alvin G. Sydor writes: "In 1729 Stephen Gray made the discovery of the conducting and non-conducting power of different substances. Gray found that by using woven silk served as an excellent insulator. Some years later it was found that the paper industry could provide what was equivalent to woven silk. Later it was discovered that if the paper was saturated with fish oil its ability as an insulator was much improved particularly when used in harsh environments and high voltages.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,236 Posts
And here I always thought fish paper was what you wraped the remains of the fish with after the cleaning was done.......learned something today

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All I'm seeing is 0.010" thick. I suppose you could triple stack it. It might be easier to bend than 1/32" thick fish paper.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I used a piece of 1/16" thick gasket material and made one.
Glenn
Hi Bill, Thanks for posting that pic, I was in the same situation wondering what took up the clearance in that join. Has the gasket got a 90 degree fold both sides or only one. Its difficult to tell from the photo. If you could take another pic slightly rotated that would be great. Also do you know how thick the gasket is. cheers Ian
It does a have fold on both sides, The materials looks and feels like gasket material, which is what I made my replacement from. I don't have a micrometer, but an old caliper showing it is 3/64 inch thick
Wood Tool Automotive exterior Font Office ruler
Wood Rectangle Font Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ordered some 0.010" fish paper today. When it gets here I'll experiment to see how many thicknesses it will take. I believe I can overlay a few layers with gorilla glue and press the two coupling halves together while the glue is fresh. After a few hours it will set in the shape of your old one. I can trim it later. Bill, you need to hold on to that one. It's kinda like a dinosaur.

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
Someone makes and sells the correct piece, or at least they did in 2015. I purchased one for my car. I went looking around the internet but I dont think I was using the correct search terms.

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Dr Hrdtp
359 Posts
It does a have fold on both sides, The materials looks and feels like gasket material, which is what I made my replacement from. I don't have a micrometer, but an old caliper showing it is 3/64 inch thick View attachment 373042 View attachment 373043 .
Yes, it needs to be on both sides, or the drive mechanism will be off center and cause issues. Here's a pic of 1/16" Garlock gasket material that I made years ago. It had been in operation 40 years before I tore car back down for a re-restoration.
Glenn
Light Laptop accessory Gadget Font Hood

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amazing that it lasted that long. I've seen the part in ads for wiper motors. On one site it was called a Fiber Cover. However I have not found any being offered for sale. I sent emails out to three places asking if they have that part available separately without having to buy the whole motor. I'll update if I get any responses.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts