Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally to the point to put the car on the road! But, I have to get the wiper motor working first. I bought the car without realizing that the wiper motor was not hooked up. I figured out that one wire coming from the wiper hooks to the resistor, the cable coming from the firewall hooks to the slide on the side of the motor. When I first turned it on it moved the passenger side arm about 12 inches and stopped, I disconnected everything again till I figure out the next step. Is there a vacuum hose that is also missing? Would appreciate any help. Sorry, this is on a 57 BelAir 2 door hardtop, 283 v-8.

Dennis

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you have a vacuum wiper motor then there is a vacuum hose from the manifold.
If you have an electrical wiper motor there is no vacuum line. The assembly manual for the '56 shows RPO 320 Electric Windshield Wiper instruction. The control for both is a cable pull from the dashboard.

There is one wire to the ballast resistor (12V) and one to ground on the firewall, RPO 320.

Possibly you have the 12V wire connected to the wrong side of the resistor.

'57 RPO 320 Instruction Sheet

1,544 Posts
wipers

Dennis57: I would suggest you remove the wiper motor from the firewall and test each component seperately, if the motor works try moving the actuator on the firewall by hand, if you have a problem with the cable setup under the dash you will know immediately. There are instructions for rebuilding the original setup as well as instructions for installing later model units into the 57, hope this helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hooked the wiper motor wire to the top of the resister. That is the best I could tell from the 57 shop manual I got from Danchuk. Should I try the bottom? I am pulling the assembly off this weekend to tear down and visually see if anything inside needs replaced. Going to have the distributer rebuilt anyway, may as well take that off while I am there. Thanks , Dennis

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. Now with the motor disconnected, I have the passenger side wiper stuck halfway up. And the drivers side down. Can not move either blade by hand. Think its stuck? Dennis

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you used the manual to make sure the cables under the dash are crossed correctly?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After taking the wiper motor off and bench testing it,I have determined that the motor is shot. After the smoked cleared!....Idont think it had enough umph to move it any farther. Thanks for all the help. Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts