Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1955 210 2dr sedan. There was no wiper motor with the car at the time I bought it. I have been doing a two year frame off on it and am now in the process of wiring. I have a 55 chevy wiper motor I bought at Pleasanton goodguys swap meet. It works fine. My question? When I ground the motor, and supply 12v to the lead the motor works well. there is a sliding lever that moves horizontally, what is that for? It appears it needs a choke type push pull lever. Is it needed? Thanks from a wiring newbie.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
You are right, the wiper "switch" is not a switch. It operates a boden cable that connects to the actuator on the motor. The switch is inside the motor and the motor only needs 12 volts and a ground. The 12 volts was originally connected to the top of the ballest resistor. You can get reconditioned switches, but they are expensive. Might try the classiffieds or e-bay. A lot of us are changeing to Raingear wipers that don't use the original "switch". http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-windshield-wiper-switch-rebuilt-1955-1956.html
http://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/320-1.gif

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.. Could it be wired differently? I was thinking using a on/off type switch, wired directly to to the wiper. Could this work?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Thanks for that.. Could it be wired differently? I was thinking using a on/off type switch, wired directly to to the wiper. Could this work?
If you wire it to a switch, you will lose the park function. When you turn the knob on the dash, it moves the switch inside the motor assembly, but the motor continues to turn until the blades get to the bottom of the windshield before they stop, because power is still applied to the motor. If you shut the power off, the blades will stop anyplace on the windshield.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for that. I will wire it as specified by you with the cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts