Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
I'm actually after the part that goes behind the dash and that the knob is attached to
Dean, it's actually not a switch, as Bruce showed in the links. It's a mechanical cable that operates the actual switch inside the motor assembly.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Don, the car I'm actually installing has only got the electric motor so I assumed it just had a switch. I looked at the motor kits you get from Ecklers and Dchuks and they only had the switch and not the cable, so what's the difference ?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
Thanks Don, the car I'm actually installing has only got the electric motor so I assumed it just had a switch. I looked at the motor kits you get from Ecklers and Dchuks and they only had the switch and not the cable, so what's the difference ?
The original electric motor had the switch inside the motor and was operated by a mechanical bowden cable from the dash control.

There are aftermarket motors available the take the place of the original and have a electric switch mounted on the dash in place of the mechanical control.

And then there are wiper systems that replace the firewall mounted system with everything mounted under the dash and also has a electric switch. ....http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-raingear-wiper-kit-with-2-speed-switch-1955-1956.html

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe
897 Posts
I'm sure I have the part you need, not sure what it would cost to ship down under though.

Doug

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Dean
You need a RHD cable/switch. the LHD cable is too short to reach from the position on the dash to the wiper motor itself (RHD cars have it to the right of the speedo cluster). If you cannot find the correct longer RHD unit, an option would be to use a LHD one and remount it somwehere on the dash where it will fit - might look a bit odd though if it were on the left side of the dash.
Cheers, Des

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dean
You need a RHD cable/switch. the LHD cable is too short to reach from the position on the dash to the wiper motor itself (RHD cars have it to the right of the speedo cluster). If you cannot find the correct longer RHD unit, an option would be to use a LHD one and remount it somwehere on the dash where it will fit - might look a bit odd though if it were on the left side of the dash.
Cheers, Des
So I gather Des they don't make the longer ones anymore ?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
So I gather Des they don't make the longer ones anymore ?
Not since 1957 :)

The RHD ones are about 1.4m long. I've never known anyone to be making or repairing them - but I have been wrong before.:)

I note that Ecklers sell's rebuilt LHD ones, so I think the best bet would be to find out who restores them, either for Ecklers or any other vendor, and contact them to see if they are willing and able to make a small number a bit longer than usual - either by just extending the cable or by us sending our cable units over to get them restored.

I've never seen inside one, so don't know how difficult a job it is. So how about we throw this open to ask the question about what is involved in restoring one, or a link to someone who does this as a sideline.

Cheers, Des

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
THere are some members that have pulled the switches apart in order to fit a micro switch for a wiper washer addition.

The switch on twisting only pulls the inner steel wire that is attached to the wiper motor.

Even with a LHD switch couldnt the steel wire be extended to a length that is suitable to be operated.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have not had any luck locating a RHD switch so I have sent Ecklers an Email asking them if they can help. As Des mentioned earlier they sell rebuilt ones so I have asked them if they can get some built to 1.4m long for us who drive on the correct side of the car. :laugh:
We will wait and see how that goes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts