Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok 55 belair new / referb vac wiper motor. only goes up 1/2 inch doesnt move wipers.asked and was told to get vac tester and check vac pressure should be about 20lbs im getting 23 foot lbs. vac port tube.. BUT A HEARD ABOUT A CANISTER THAT STORES AIR PRESSURE ????? ANY INFO ON WHAT THIS MEANS?

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
ok 55 belair new / referb vac wiper motor. only goes up 1/2 inch doesnt move wipers.asked and was told to get vac tester and check vac pressure should be about 20lbs im getting 23 foot lbs. vac port tube.. BUT A HEARD ABOUT A CANISTER THAT STORES AIR PRESSURE ????? ANY INFO ON WHAT THIS MEANS?
sounds like there might be a problem with your wiper. You should get good travel @ 23 lbs. The problem comes when you take off from a stop into traffic in the rain and you step on it hard and your vac goes way down and your wipers stop, just as you really need them. A canister helps with that senerio. You can use one of those fancy ones or a power brake canister off a tri five power vac brake system. Heck ford trucks used a can that looked an awful lot like a 3lb coffee can with a couple ports in the end.

The best solution (aside from an electric wiper motor) is to get a dual fuel pump. the top half is a vacuum pump and your wipers work all the time no matter what the engine vacuum.

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
If the vac wipers were rebuilt correctly you do not need a seperate tank. Yes you can add one, is it better well its an improvement.

I swapped my vac set for an electric (direct replacement) as the vac was too unreliable for my liking :anim_25:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts