Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems with the wiper system on the '55 that I just picked up.....It had a vacuum motor that was not hooked up, when I got it.....So, I immediately replaced it with a good electrical unit.

When I turn the wiperts on, they both go to about 1/2 way and stop....Kinda move in place, if you know what I mean....I pushed on wiper arm the bases....They moved in and out okay.....Looked at the cables under the dash....Looks like there is too much slack in the cables to work on both the left and the right sides.

I have zero experience working on the original wiper system....Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Pushing in of the wiper shafts should tighten the cables. There is 2 pulleys on each wiper shaft that are spring loaded in opposite directions with a clutch between the pulleys. When you push in on the shaft, the pulleys seperate, opening the clutch, and the spring can then turn the pulleys in opposite directions to tighten the cables. The spring could be broken or the pulleys rusted to the shaft so it won't turn. Have someone push in on the shaft while you look under the dash to see if you can turn the pulleys to tighten the cables.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the usual “press the wiper pivot” does not work to tighten up the wiper transmission cables then it really does become a two person job like the previous gentleman has intimated. I am pretty sure you have the links but here is the service bulletin just in case you do not have it:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/bulletins/55fsn140108.html
I am always amazed that this old technology responds after 50 years of non-use and sometimes it does stick a bit. I would suggest some care in where you lubricate so as not to get any on the cables and pulley mechanisms themselves.
On a personal note, the ‘55’s are always my personal favorite.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SW....Can't thank you enough for the wealth of information....Will print, get a cup of joe, sit down, read and reread,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.