Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crazy situation, I ordered wipers for my 56 belair 4dr from Ecklers, they looked right out of the box and I put them on and the arms are too long! the blades overlap in the middle and hit the trim at the top of the window. The part I ordered was 27-16 http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-windshield-wiper-arms-and-blades-polished-stainless-steel-1955-1957.html.

Picture is attached.

Did I order the wrong part? Did they send the wrong part? the box/packing slip is long gone. I suppose I could grind off the rivets at the base and shorten them and re-rivet. Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
68,504 Posts
mine don't overlap. maybe they sent you the wrong ones. :confused0006:

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,220 Posts
measure the blades they should be approx. 12" long +- 1/4" if they are correct you have the wrong arms.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the blades are exactly 12". Looks like the arms are just too long. I guess I'll try shortening them myself before I go spend another 60 bucks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at a bunch of pics, I think they're 56 corvette arms.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Mine do not over lap . Parts store like NAPA should have what you need. 12 " sounds right. Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ah - All Better

I'm pretty sure these are either for a truck or a corvette.

Anyway, rather than spend like 40 bucks on a new set, I drilled out the rivets, cut the arms down drilled out the stainless arms, put the arms back together with stainless steel machine screws, lock washers and nuts and VOILA! They're perfect. Only cost me 3 drill bits (~$12.00), 2 trips to the hardware store (~$5), hardware (~$1.50) and 3 hours of my time on a beautiful Saturday morning.

That's about 7 bucks an hour by my math but the satisfaction is definitely worth it!

Automotive exterior Vehicle Metal Car Vehicle door

Windscreen wiper Windshield Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive window part

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
I had the same problem, when I ordered From Ecklers. But mine were only about a 1/4 lap so I just trimmed the excess rubber and they work fine. But it seams as though everything I order from them don't fit or it takes a month to get it. I am done with them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have sent them back, except it had been about 4 months and the box / packing slip was long gone. I also didn't want to be without wipers for a month, packing, shipping, tracking, arguing, etc. I'm going to send them a note and see what they do. If they're nice to me I'll talk nice about them here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, Ecklers was very nice to me. They acknowledged that they had a problem with that part and they have the right length ones now, that they would have certainly replaced them if I had returned them and they gave me a 15% discount on my next order. All is good, I have good wipers, and a little $ for my trouble fixing them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Kudos to Eckler's for making good. Now you just gotta make sure you order BIG on that next order ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts