Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is hlo's wife. He has his head under the dash of his car and asked me to post this. He was wondering if anyone could come up with why the wiring in his 56 melted and just about caught fire. He believes it started at the transformer(hope I got that right) and moved to the starter than to the regulator. He is thinking the regulator was bad. Can a regulator be checked? He's new at this stuff. If I didn't explain that right, I'll get back to you. In the meantime, has anyone ever had that problem occur? Thanks ahead of time
 

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
Joined
·
27,084 Posts
Welcome hlo's wife.
Did the insulation on the red wire from the firewall plug under the drivers fender, to the regulator, melt or show signs of getting too hot. If so, the regulator could be shorted. If that wire doesn't show signs of getting to hot, the short may be under the dash.
If you have a meter, you can check for continuity to ground at the battery terminal of the regulator with the red wire removed from the regulator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
He's got a dead short somewhere in the harness.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
50,809 Posts
Always hated to try to run down a short. Tell him to be very careful. Once upon a time my Dad burned his hand pretty bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,760 Posts
I would get rid of that old generator/regulator combo and install an alternator upgrade. The red wire under the dash is not fused and would burn if shorted. Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
Bad deal and sorry to hear about your wiring... I had a lllllllllll the wiring under my dash burn, what a mess, it took a long time to get a new wiring harnace installed. I never found out what caused my original problem but I also went to an alternator at the same time, that would be a good move for you.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top