Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aftermarket power windows quit working last fall (they were "fixed" by the PO as a condition of purchase three years ago). They consist of "crank switches" and a four relay and a NO moment switch to be able to operate the passenger side from the driver's side, all from Autoloc. In comparing their wiring diagram to what was in the car, I found some "creative" wiring done by the "installation shop" Long story short, I sprung for a couple of controllers from Autoloc to eliminate a couple of relays and give me "one touch down". Instead of going to an Accessary location on the fuse block, I used the previously unused power window wires in the fuse block. I mocked up the switches and relays on a small piece of plywood just make sure everything worked before I had to put it all in the doors. Well @$#^! No power to the wires from the fuse block! I checked the fuse, it's good (well it "looks" good). I'm going to test for power to the fuse if I can get my old body and eyes to "see" the fuse block. Why do we put a "new" fuse block where it's NOT accessible to someone over three feet tall! OK. I feel better!

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts
That's exactly why I like the fuses that "glow" when they blow. Easy to find for this old man.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My aftermarket power windows quit working last fall (they were "fixed" by the PO as a condition of purchase three years ago). They consist of "crank switches" and a four relay and a NO moment switch to be able to operate the passenger side from the driver's side, all from Autoloc. In comparing their wiring diagram to what was in the car, I found some "creative" wiring done by the "installation shop" Long story short, I sprung for a couple of controllers from Autoloc to eliminate a couple of relays and give me "one touch down". Instead of going to an Accessary location on the fuse block, I used the previously unused power window wires in the fuse block. I mocked up the switches and relays on a small piece of plywood just make sure everything worked before I had to put it all in the doors. Well @$#^! No power to the wires from the fuse block! I checked the fuse, it's good (well it "looks" good). I'm going to test for power to the fuse if I can get my old body and eyes to "see" the fuse block. Why do we put a "new" fuse block where it's NOT accessible to someone over three feet tall! OK. I feel better!
So I did check, power to the fuse, power across the fuse, still no power on the wire??!! I checked the wire run back to the fuse block, looks good. Looks like I'm going to run the wires to a switched location and get a couple of fuse holders unless someone out there has a better solution!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,441 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I put in power windows in the front by Nu Relic. I also had the crank style actuators. There were clearance issues so they traded me for the regular switches. Worked fine with no wiring issues.
John

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I wired them to the power door lock wires (they aren't being used and run with the window wires) just to see if everything works, they do. now it's on to locating a good switched power source and getting everything put back together! The door panels are a three piece custom setup with one piece being riveted in, wish me luck! The wire harness is a Painless 18 circuit that was installed when the car was built back in 2000, still can't figure out why both wires (left and right doors) are dead and I'm NOT going to remove the fuse block to try and find out! One thing that seems to have changed is the wires for the power windows on my harness originate at the fuse block, new ones originate at the ignition switch. Maybe I'll go there.

·
49,441 Posts
......now it's on to locating a good switched power source and getting everything put back together!
That brings up another question in my mind....Do you want a switched or constant power source? Originally, the power windows were connected to a constant 12V power source.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The windows were wired to an ACC location on the fuse block when they were installed, I think it was switched. The power window location on the fuse block is switched, I'll stick with switched.

·
49,441 Posts
No problem then....I kept looking for a fuse labeled Power Windows...However, now I see by referring to it as ACC you are talking about Air Conditioning, not Accessories...And yes, the air conditioning fuse is switched.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts