Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone, Im new to this site and looking for help.I have a 55 2door post car, purchased it a little over a year ago it has a 383 stroker 700r4 trans with a few add on options.my problem is the wiring is 50 years old and has been changed as the car has gotten older,i keep hearing about jumping the ign1 and ign2 terminals on the switch does this halft to be done.it has a malroy dist.and ign box.i had a problem with the engine not starting had no power at coil wire during cranking.thanks for the help in advance..

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,959 Posts
Hello to everyone, Im new to this site and looking for help.I have a 55 2door post car, purchased it a little over a year ago it has a 383 stroker 700r4 trans with a few add on options.my problem is the wiring is 50 years old and has been changed as the car has gotten older,i keep hearing about jumping the ign1 and ign2 terminals on the switch does this halft to be done.it has a malroy dist.and ign box.i had a problem with the engine not starting had no power at coil wire during cranking.thanks for the help in advance..
Welcome to Tri-Five!!!
If you still use the ballest resistor on the firewall, you do not have to jumper ign1 and ign2. The reason for jumpering them together, if you have an electronic ignition and coil that doesn't need the ballest resistor. Ign2 provides power to the coil while cranking and ign1 provides power to the coil when the key is in the run position. Neither ign1 or ign2 provide power in both positions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts