Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have a 55 chevy 2 door hardtop. Almost finished. Need to know if any of you have any experience in what type of wiring you would suggjest to use. I'm leaning towards a 18 circut system. I see painless has one and also American Auto wire has one too. Waiting now for horror stories and good ones too. Thanks in advance, Kim S.

·
Administrator
49,959 Posts
Kim the American Auto Wire kit has been used by many on here, myself included. I used the 18 circuit update kit and it was not a bad install at all. They have good tech support also if you do run into any problems.
Terry

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
AAW here. If I did it again, I'd get the kit that allows you to hook the wiring to the fuse panel, as needed. [Mine is pre-wired, and a pita to mount.]
Quality is great.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I used the EZ to Wire kit. 19 circuit . Every wire is labeled every 6 or so inches so you can't lose track of it. The fuse panel is prewired and very easy to install so you only have to feed the wires hopefully once by seperating front end, interior and rear wiring leaving extra circuits just in case. My 55 was done 4 years ago with no issues yet. The price was a deciding factor also as it was considerably cheaper than the big names. Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Hot Rod Wires

Kim, I installed a 24 circuit harness in my 55 HT, wanted extra circuits for all accessories, from HotRodWires.com, good instruction, wires are labeled, but not individually marked full length like some kits, but I had no problems, good luck whichever system you choose. BDR :cool:

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Another happy AAW customer here. I used the Classic Update kit on my 57 but wish I had gotten the one with more circuits. The wires are labeled every few inches in the AAW kit also.
Jim

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
American Auto Wire makes it easy to rewire your car AND replace almost everything that has to do with electrical. If you look at the AAW kit, almost EVERY wire is terminated with a connector, terminal, or light socket. The other wiring harnesses have a fuse block and a bunch of wires. ALL the wires have to be spliced onto your old 55 year old sockets, switches, and terminals. If you price all the switches, sockets, boots, and connectors, that are not included in the AAW kit, the AAW kit is a lot better deal for the money. And I don't even have any stock in AAW. :) I agree, if you want to do custom wiring, the "universal" kits would work as well.
AAW KIT:

Painless KIT:

·
Registered
927 Posts
hi i used a kit for my 55 from EZ WIRE and its been 4mos now and things are ok. paid about $170. plus shipping

·
Registered
926 Posts
I went with the painless wiring kit that had no connections. Turned out to be quite a painful wiring harness to install. Wish I would have spent the extra money and got the AAW kit. Live and learn.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have an AAW kit for my winter project, may install it during X-mas holidays. I think it's the better of the kits I have looked at. The kit does have alot of nice extras. JMO GKK

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used the AAW kit and it was a piece of cake to install. Taking your time and hiding wires it takes a couple of days. Well worth the money.
Rob.

·
Registered
401 Posts
So with an AAW kit do you have to add extras like , Electric windows , HEI , one wire alternator, ididit column and are they good for all models - nomads ? or is it all in one , thanks .
oh and rain gear ?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
So with an AAW kit do you have to add extras like , Electric windows , HEI , one wire alternator, ididit column and are they good for all models - nomads ? or is it all in one , thanks .
oh and rain gear ?
AAW has different kits that will fit your paticular car. You can get a "factory fit" harness that is for a completely stock car or a update kit that has provisions to wire in different accessories like power windows, doors, seats, ect. but you don't have to have them or you can add them later. The kits are a little different for wagons and cars because of the rear wiring lengths, but can be ordered for what you have.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a brand new Painless Wiring kit for sale for 55 to 57 Chevys if anyone is interested. Thanksbowtie-trifive

1 - 15 of 15 Posts