Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the 57 running long enough to take a spin. I had Thought I cleaned out the old fuel line by removing it and squirting a bottle of B-12 Chemtool down it, letting it soak for a few hours and then blowing all the varnish out with an air hose. Apparently that didn't do the trick. After I hooked the line back up and started the car it ran for about 10 minutes and then quit. I wasn't getting gas to the carberator. Thankfully a friend who knew a bit about old cars came by and suggested I check the fuel line again. When we did we found large clumps of what appeared to be semi-soft varnish. We figured I didn't clean the line well enough and some varnish around the bends in the gas line had not been cleaned out but broke loose when I started the motor back up. I removed the lines again thinking I would clean them yet again, but the next morning decided to just buy a new line to make sure there was nothing to stop the fuel from getting to the carberator. Ran out of time last night so finished installing the new fuel line this morning. Tried to strat the motor with no luck. Frustrated I sat down and tried to figure out what I should try next. Then it struck me, I put a second in-line fuel filter in just ahead of the fuel pump so I could see if there was any bad stuff coming from the gas tank. I double checked it and discovered I had put the fuel filter in backward. Ah, I thought, there is the problem. Corrected that and still the motor wouldn't start. I called the Napa parts store where I had purchased the fuel line since the gentleman there seemed pretty knowledgable about old cars and repairing them. He suggested I take off one end of the fuel line and blow down it. Seemed odd to me, but I took his advice (but used an air hose). Hooked up the line again and put a bit of gas in the carberator and she fired right up and stayed runningfor about an hour and died. More junk in the filters. cleaned them out and she started fine again. There is still a few pieces of debris I can see in the filters and figure I will let the car run each evening for an hour and clean the filters till they seem to stay clean. I will get some pictures tomarrow and post them. All I have done to this beauty, apart from the motor work, is clean and wax her. Had a second key made last week and the locksmith said he knew the previous owner and said he had purchased the car new from the local chevy dealership. When I was getting gas today I had a gentleman come up and ask me if my car used to belong to Mr. Hightower (the former owner, deceased, I purchased the car from his daughter) I said yes. He also said that Mr Hightower had purchased the car new. This may be a one owner, vehicle, It had been parked since Mr. Hightower stopped driving it in January 1997. There is an interesting story to go along with this car and it's former owner, but I will save that for another time.

Steve in Arkansas

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
Good going Steve. As you have probably figured out it might not hurt to have the gas tank cleaned out or purchase a new one since this problem may haunt you for a long time to come.
Terry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Steve...must make for a good feeling to get to that point. I personally would appreciate a sound bit so that I could play the sound while I am working on mine...and working on mine...and working on mine...

Congrats Steve!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congrats Steve! It's a good feeling when all the work pays off! I agree with Terry, clean or replace the tank. Mine would have cost more to clean than the price of a new one. I would also have the carb rebuilt.

Enjoy your ride.

Frank

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input friends. I did remove the tank and clean it out. This seems to have helped. Still getting a bit of very fine silt like rust. Don't know if that was a bit left in line along with a bit that might still be coming out of the tank. If it doesn't clear up in a few days, guess I'll drop the tank again and seal it. Any feedback on a good sealing product?
Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Can you give details on how you went about cleaning your gas tank? I've never done that and would like to get it good and cleaned out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts