Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

*Woody's Tri Five parts, beware!

9K views 85 replies 31 participants last post by  B&Ps-Sassy56 
#1 ·
So I ordered a "B" pillar repair panel from Woody's, what I received was a bumper bracket!
Apparently, Woody's did not have the part I ordered, in stock, so they bought one from Cars Inc. and they were supposed to send one to me. I got the bumper bracket.
I have called Woody's twice, it's been 10 days since my first call, so far nothing has changed, no updates on what is happening to try and resolve the problem. I have spent almost $150 for a bumper bracket I don't need.
Vendors that do not provide customer service sure make things harder than they need to be.

Be aware if you buy from them.
I will not do it again.

#3 ·
So I ordered a "B" pillar repair panel from Woody's, what I received was a bumper bracket!
Apparently, Woody's did not have the part I ordered, in stock, so they bought one from Cars Inc. and they were supposed to send one to me. I got the bumper bracket.
I have called Woody's twice, it's been 10 days since my first call, so far nothing has changed, no updates on what is happening to try and resolve the problem. I have spent almost $150 for a bumper bracket I don't need.
Vendors that do not provide customer service sure make things harder than they need to be.

Be aware if you buy from them.
I will not do it again.
Unfortunately this comes as no surprise to me.

#6 ·
I have called Woody's twice, it's been 10 days since my first call, so far nothing has changed, no updates on what is happening to try and resolve the problem. Vendors that do not provide customer service sure make things harder than they need to be.

Be aware if you buy from them.....I will not do it again.
I found out about their "unservice after the sale" the hard way myself.

Here is a pic of the smoothie hood that I purchased from Woody's that turned out to be too short.

Once they had my money, they didn't care.

Be aware, if you buy from them.....I will not do it again.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

#7 ·
If you would have test fitted the hood first before you painted it, they would have taken the hood back no problem.
You can't help but slam a company for your mistake. You painted it !! you own it now !!! Any decent body guy could have pulled on the nose & got at least half if not all of the 3/16" back.

#8 ·
If you would have test fitted the hood first before you painted it, they would have taken the hood back no problem.
You can't help but slam a company for your mistake. You painted it !! you own it now !!! Any decent body guy could have pulled on the nose & got at least half if not all of the 3/16" back.
Sorry but it isn't just the leading edge. The crown at the front of the fender doesn't match either. The hood sucks!

#43 ·
Ok guys, y`all need to agree to disagree on this topic. Any more posts from the offenders and i`ll start deleting posts. I`m pretty sure the OP would like it to stay open.
Thank Y`all for understanding,Terry.

#60 ·
I got their catalog yesterday. Tossed it in the trash. I already learned the hard way that their customer service is unacceptable.

I recently purchased a smoothie hood. I read what happened to Pops. So, I checked with a few retailers (Woody's, RDS, etc.). What I learned is that the retailers all sell the same sheet metal parts. Golden Star makes them. I contacted Golden Star, asked a few questions and then ordered directly from them. Golden Star actually has a good return policy if needed. I had no complaints with their customer service or communications.

#45 ·
Woody's is going to experience same issues as anyone else doing well. Not enough stock, poor stock, lack of help & lack of QC. It happens time & time again. It's a fault of success without enough time and people to have the infrastructure in place to handle the added business. In this case, taking of Danchuk's workload.

#46 ·
JMHO...However, so far I've never been disappointed with Mutton Hollow Chevys or East Coast Chevy, Inc

#48 ·

#51 ·
about woodyz i would stay away from their power steering conversion kit. went through 3 pumps to get one that wouldnt leak then the hoses had bad flairs that leaked. all this did get straightened out but took the better part of 3 months.I think they are nice people but overwhelmed since danchuck closed. just my 2 cents

#54 ·
Maybe not an equal comparison but Blueprint Engines gave us zero hassle in returning a part they didn't make. They were prepared to deal with part failures regardless of the maker. Holley cranked out tons of Sniper Injection units but didn't have any spare parts on hand to repair them. Blueprint ate Holley's problem without saying anything about it being installed wrong or tuned wrong. I posted how pleased I am with them. If/when I want another engine I know where I'll go. Like Davidc Woody's also sent me a beautiful catalog and it showed all kind of expensive products. (All it lacked was a scratch and sniff page.) This post has raised big red flag concerns for me. Customer service counts, ignoring calls and stalling counts too, in a bad way.

#56 ·
Wow! Seems like I started a spit ball barrage! To update my 'Woody' situation. I received a reply from 'Speed Kils'. Don't know who he is, he didn't say, but apparently, he works at Woody's? He apologized for the problem and apparently worked to fix it. I have received an email stating a package is coming from Cars Inc. The part I ordered is on it's way, I am assuming. Too bad it took social media to get it done, but I gave them a chance, twice, to fix it without all the bad publicity here. From what I have read here so far, this seems not to be a rare occurrence with them, too bad.
Now, I just hope the new part fits. I don't like my chances given the problems others have had. Live, learn, and remember, not to make the same mistake twice!
Thanks for all the replies. Customer service does count, more than some employees may know.

#58 ·
So how many 1956 Chevy 'B' pillar stamping dies do you think exist in the world? For sure at least a couple from GM were made, still around? Used up? How many companies made their own die at what cost? I can attest to the long process to make a tooling die, at least back in the early '80's, I worked in that industry for a short time. What company today has the $$$ to do that? I suspect most, if not all of our repair panels come from only 1 or 2 stamping plants? Yes? No? And they are probably quite used up by now, if from back in the 1950's.

#59 ·
Wow what a lot of comments since I last tuned in. I too got that same parts book. Don't know why.....never bought anything from them. I know
too much back story to buy from them, even before Woody's was formed.

Mikey

#62 ·
Golden Star now sells direct? That would be new.

I wonder if Golden Star even got any feedback about the bad hood(s) also.
That's a good question. I would think that the reseller (Woody's) should at least contact the manufacturer (Golden Star) on behalf of their customer to come to a resolution. It sounds like that didn't happen. That's on Woody's.

I'm curious how many hoods Golden Star manufactures and how many complaints they receive. I suspect they sell a lot. A company doesn't stay in business if they don't pay attention to quality control. If they are selling a lot, their quality control must be pretty decent.

#68 ·
Sadly, I am somewhat of an expert on Tri Five sheet metal parts having purchased complete floor, both A pillar repair kits, a left front fender, rocker panels, inner and outer wheelhousing, driver's door, rear quarter panel, front and rear bumpers, inner front fenders, grill and tail pan - all for one car. My roof is original though. Note to self: never buy another Cleveland car.

Most after market parts do not fit correctly without rework or have defects. When I buy a piece of sheet metal from a retailer, with few exceptions, the part comes from Golden Star in Texas. Golden Star doesn't manufacture parts, the parts are manufactured from a dozen or more suppliers in Taiwan. For example Golden Star sells Dynacorn parts made by He Qing Industry Co. Ltd. Parts arrive via container ship, then are shipped to Golden Star which in turn supplies the retailer which in turn supplies the Mustang crowd.

The Tri Five segment is small compared to other markets. I don't know what parts He Qing Industry makes for Tri Fives but I am sure they manufacture some. Even if He Qing Industry knew about a defect they have no reason of fix it. Golden Star is small potatoes to them. They manufacture hundreds of parts for Holley, CJ Pony and others. In those rare cases where an engineering change is made or a defect is fixed, it can be a year or more before another order is placed and then it can be months enough product can be made to fill a container. Worse, if the defect is caused by worn out tooling the part will never be fixed. The time and expense of replacing worn dies for a low volume part makes no sense since there is no chance of ever recouping the cost.

The reality is that on the sheet metal side, it's a take it or leave it proposition which ultimately translates to the only after market part available even with defects is better than nothing.

Although Golden Star has really nice printed catalog and functioning website now, they only sell parts not expertise. If you have a problem, you are on your own. I choose to purchase from a retailer that is upfront and honest about the parts they sell. Before I ordered a door from my retailer, I asked what was wrong with it. They gave me the bad news straight up. That way, I can make an informed decision whether it's worth saving the old door or doing a ton of rework on the new door or scouring the country for a NOS or salvage yard part.

#69 ·
Sadly, I am somewhat of an expert on Tri Five sheet metal parts having purchased complete floor, both A pillar repair kits, a left front fender, rocker panels, inner and outer wheelhousing, driver's door, rear quarter panel, front and rear bumpers, inner front fenders, grill and tail pan - all for one car. My roof is original though. Note to self: never buy another Cleveland car.

Most after market parts do not fit correctly without rework or have defects. When I buy a piece of sheet metal from a retailer, with few exceptions, the part comes from Golden Star in Texas. Golden Star doesn't manufacture parts, the parts are manufactured from a dozen or more suppliers in Taiwan. For example Golden Star sells Dynacorn parts made by He Qing Industry Co. Ltd. Parts arrive via container ship, then are shipped to Golden Star which in turn supplies the retailer which in turn supplies the Mustang crowd.

The Tri Five segment is small compared to other markets. I don't know what parts He Qing Industry makes for Tri Fives but I am sure they manufacture some. Even if He Qing Industry knew about a defect they have no reason of fix it. Golden Star is small potatoes to them. They manufacture hundreds of parts for Holley, CJ Pony and others. In those rare cases where an engineering change is made or a defect is fixed, it can be a year or more before another order is placed and then it can be months enough product can be made to fill a container. Worse, if the defect is caused by worn out tooling the part will never be fixed. The time and expense of replacing worn dies for a low volume part makes no sense since there is no chance of ever recouping the cost.

The reality is that on the sheet metal side, it's a take it or leave it proposition which ultimately translates to the only after market part available even with defects is better than nothing.

Although Golden Star has really nice printed catalog and functioning website now, they only sell parts not expertise. If you have a problem, you are on your own. I choose to purchase from a retailer that is upfront and honest about the parts they sell. Before I ordered a door from my retailer, I asked what was wrong with it. They gave me the bad news straight up. That way, I can make an informed decision whether it's worth saving the old door or doing a ton of rework on the new door or scouring the country for a NOS or salvage yard part.
When I ordered from Golden Star I asked about the fit quality. The response was quite honest. You can expect some work to be required to get the best fit. I appreciated the honesty, and I went in with my eyes open. Real Deal Steel told me the same thing.

#74 ·
I can remember when the members of this excellent web site used to discuss topics, answer questions from other members and enjoy other's post without "bickering". Seems like "Rebuildman" was just trying report a bad experience he had with Woody's. Most of the posts after "Pops@Tri-5.com" are "you should have done this or It wouldn't have happened if you'd don that". What happened to the good ol' days?

#75 ·
I can remember when the members of this excellent web site used to discuss topics, answer questions from other members and enjoy other's post without "bickering". Seems like "Rebuildman" was just trying report a bad experience he had with Woody's. Most of the posts after "Pops@Tri-5.com" are "you should have done this or It wouldn't have happened if you'd don that". What happened to the good ol' days?
What happened? The site sold and the new ownership doesn`t care what happens as long as they get a lot of traffic so they can sell ads. The original owner cared and backed the admin.
Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.