Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take some tyres in to the shop for swapping about - I had 17 Mud tyres from the Landrover to get done, rather than make lots of trips, I piled them all in to the back of the panel.

The guy was so impressed with the Chevy that I got a decent discount - Result.

How great is it to have a classic that can help out with the chores.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hey,,that's what they're made for,,,work. Personally,I wouldn't want a truck that is so nice that I couldn't haul something in it when the need arises.
I bet it even ran better. It probably enjoyed being useful-He-He.

·
Senior Member 1 Silver Star Chat Room Moderator
1,418 Posts
Glad to see you have a working girl... the 55 panel can be your new side job. take in peoples tires to get swapped out; pocket the discount. I doubt the tire guy or anyone will tire seeing the panel. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Okay... you spell tires tyres, use the term "swapping about" instead of changing (proper English unlike the American version eh?), your userinfo says uk - but the panel appears to be a left side driver? SO I am thinking an American truck in the UK.

How does that work driving on the wrong side of the car AND on the wrong side of the road?

he he - I am SUCH a protagnonist

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Okay... you spell tires tyres, use the term "swapping about" instead of changing (proper English unlike the American version eh?), your userinfo says uk - but the panel appears to be a left side driver? SO I am thinking an American truck in the UK.

How does that work driving on the wrong side of the car AND on the wrong side of the road?

he he - I am SUCH a protagnonist
I want to be the 1st to warn you;We have a lot of members from many different countrieshere on tri-5.We do our best to make them all feel comfortable no matter how they speak.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I did not mean that mean spirited I actually embrace different cultures and have fun doing so (after all UK speaks english we butcher it). Should of heard me in Australia trying (with my hearing loss) to perfect my pronunciation of some of their phrases (and Australia itself). We laughed so hard I thought I was gonna hurt myself! It took me about forty tries (and fortunately only half as many brews) before I started getting pats on the back from the locals giving me impromptu education. Funny though - when I was in London I did not have so much problem picking up subtelties.

In fact when in Au I saw a BEAUTIFUL 64 1/2 Mustang - still a left hand driver and I learned a lot about adapting when the owner told me of the difficulties faced when driving it - such as judging the passing of oncoming cars with ample room. I was having a hard time just handling the road with a right sider! We left it agreeing that although they drive from the right side of the car we drive on the right side of the road! Which of course means they drive on the wrong side of the road and we drive from the wrong side of the car (or something like that eh?).

And personally - I am happy when someone notices that I do not talk like a Texan - it means they are actually paying attention to me.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I want to be the 1st to warn you;We have a lot of members from many different countrieshere on tri-5.We do our best to make them all feel comfortable no matter how they speak.
CHEEEZZZEEE I don't think he meant any disrespect ,,,lighten up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I didn't really take it as admonishment - oldfart made a valid point just to make sure I was not headed into a demeaning path - and knew not to cross certain lines - which is easy to do when we are truly international - what we find acceptable may not be found as such elsewhere. We be lightened. :sign0020:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct I am in the Uk and yes it can be a pain driving on the wrong side of the car !
Drive through ( thru) restaurants - tolls etc and as my panel has limited rear/side vision, turning left out of forecourts & some junctions can be a nightmare if you are on your own.

And I won't tell you just how embarasing it is when I naturally walk to the passenger side and get in and realise the steering wheel is not there where I left it !

Fortunately the panel is auto so that is something I do not have to worry about - although I have just ( yesterday) bought a 4400 truck that has a stick shift - so changing gear with my right hand is a bit of a novelty at the moment.

Britain & America 2 nations divided by a common language eh ?

When I come on here I have to remember, bonnets are hoods - boots are trunks - shock absorbers are dampers - rocker panels are ---- not quite sure what we would call that bit to be honest.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I didn't really take it as admonishment - oldfart made a valid point just to make sure I was not headed into a demeaning path - and knew not to cross certain lines - which is easy to do when we are truly international - what we find acceptable may not be found as such elsewhere. We be lightened. :sign0020:
And they all lived happily:04:ever after:happy0030: Nice panel by the way:tu Later, Dave

·
Registered
483 Posts
You are correct I am in the Uk and yes it can be a pain driving on the wrong side of the car !
Drive through ( thru) restaurants - tolls etc and as my panel has limited rear/side vision, turning left out of forecourts & some junctions can be a nightmare if you are on your own.

And I won't tell you just how embarasing it is when I naturally walk to the passenger side and get in and realise the steering wheel is not there where I left it !

Fortunately the panel is auto so that is something I do not have to worry about - although I have just ( yesterday) bought a 4400 truck that has a stick shift - so changing gear with my right hand is a bit of a novelty at the moment.

Britain & America 2 nations divided by a common language eh ?

When I come on here I have to remember, bonnets are hoods - boots are trunks - shock absorbers are dampers - rocker panels are ---- not quite sure what we would call that bit to be honest.
I did not drive when I visited London (I was TERRIFIED just riding in a car let alone driving one in their traffic) - however in AU we rented a small car - they gave me a standard - that lasted all of one lap around Sydney and I exchanged it for an Auto - seems reverse does not enjoy being asked to work while rolling forward - and theres nothing like the sound of a four banger being forced into second gear when we really wanted 5th!! My left hand just would not co-operate. And turning on the windshield wipers does NOT let anyone know you are turning. Had the car been a left driver - I woulda been a one man wrecking team - can just see the news report - The entire Sydney downtown came to a complete halt today when some idiot left carnage in his wake, driving on the wrong side of the road with his windshield wipers on full in the sun! (we still laugh over the wipers quite often - hey Im turning there - didn't you see my wipers?)

And embarrassment? Yea - pulling into a parking lot with a car wanting out and instictlvely driving to what is now the WRONG side of the oncoming car gets a few "happy" hello waves to say the least! And when my pal drove on the expressway (we THOUGHT I was going to drive until we were actually seated and realized I had no steering wheel) - most of the time I was in a different lane than she was - even though we were BOTH in the same car (she could not break the habit of lining her butt up to the left side of the lane).

The rocker panel? In any language that's "that thing that muddies up your ankle when you get in or out". Something the engineers really really need to address!

But overall I was just simply impressed at how many folks actually honked and waved at us just because we were American tourists - just never quite figgured out how they KNEW! lol I am impressed that you can adapt with a vehicle that is TOTALLY backwards to your roads - I had a hard time just adapting to the roads. I was REALLY thankful the pedals were not crossed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts