Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a liftgate back from an exchange deal. i always tell people no matter how pitted/cracked/or bent i can accept it on a discounted exchange as long as its never been rechromed. well yesterday that policy bit me in the butt lol this was one of the worst i have seen, i think this one actually is more worse than trifive member ss396pilot's gate which i did a year ago. my dad looked at me like i was freakin nuts for even accepting it, but i saw it as an opportunity to really show people what i can do, and use it for my website with before and after shots. although i didnt get it on the first stage of straightening i got it close. it just has a few snakes on the top rail that need straightening, besides that its a good base . check em out

after shots...( not finished but close )

the only problem with them being twisted this far is the metal stretches and at that point all the numbers and guidelines for straightening are thrown out the window. its all out of whack, but i got it close and its something to fine tune. i kind of get excited when i see them this bent because some people might see this gate before and just chuck it in the trash. this hobby is all about preserving, and once i get it fine tuned, some dude is going to be thrilled to have it on his car. :party0031:

68,758 Posts
great job! :five: ....................so what did you do after lunch mook? :stupido2:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i skipped lunch now that you mention it...is that a joke im missing or are you really asking me what i did lol sorry im a little slow this morning

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
steve, who is mark? thats gonna cost you. 10% price increase everytime you get my name wrong :sign0020:

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
56madmook, the "after lunch" thing is a long standing joke with carl - a guy would post a dozen photos of what he'd been doing for a year or more, and carl would ask "what did you do after lunch?" I guess it wore out because he has used it sparingly in recent months.

Back to the liftgate, it's pretty amazing that it could get that bad without some serious cracks, and equally amazing you could put it back in shape without cracks too.

I've really come to enjoy the work you do and the photos to show it. I may have to get a Nomad yet!

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Mook, You mention " as long as it's never been re-chromed " Why is that? Great job you do on those lift gates!!

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Back to the liftgate, it's pretty amazing that it could get that bad without some serious cracks, and equally amazing you could put it back in shape without cracks too.

I've really come to enjoy the work you do and the photos to show it.

What Rick said, ditto.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
most chrome shops dont rechrome liftgates correctly, and they ground down all the definition and sharp lines. if i accept it as an exchange, i can never restore it to factory specs. thats why i say, any condition as long as its original and never been rechromed

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
most chrome shops dont rechrome liftgates correctly, and they ground down all the definition and sharp lines. if i accept it as an exchange, i can never restore it to factory specs. thats why i say, any condition as long as its original and never been rechromed
OK, now I understand. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rick, ruin is an understatement. thats why i tell people if they can get the job done under 500 bucks, be very cautious and make sure you have seen a liftgate they have done before even considering. its scary what they do to these things. unfortunately most nomad guys dont know how nice these things actually can come out with the right shop. most people are pleasantly surprised when they unwrap one of my gates. i always tell them, it doesnt belong on a car, it should be hanging on a wall like a piece of art

1 - 20 of 35 Posts