Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the car to not start, not click, interior lights not on...nothing?

My 55 has been sitting for a week, usually that drains the battery enough that I have to throw a chrge on it. This morning I charged it for a couple of hours, it started up, I drove it to a customers shop...nada on restarting...he had a starting (hot) box we hooked that up, nada, I jiggled the ignition wires, then it started.

Not wanting to get stuck at work I drove home. I put it in the garage, turned it off, immediately tried to start it...click, nothing.

It had been starting to this point, before today. Maybe the battery is just so low even driving it for a little while didn't boost it. I don't know.

It's 30 something degrees here so that and a week battery may be the culprit.

Anyone?:bowtieb:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,858 Posts
In a word.....YES.....(as well as a few other things)...Take a look at the back of your ignition switch.....See link: http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 C...anual/12-5.gif Its fairly easy for the wires to work themself loose after time......Especially on an original wiring harness.....Found this out myself on mine, when I first got it.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
...the car to not start, not click, interior lights not on...nothing?

Not wanting to get stuck at work I drove home. I put it in the garage, turned it off, immediately tried to start it...click, nothing.
It's probably not the switch itself, but the connection of the black wire on the back of the switch, as David said. The black battery wire feeds power to the switch and to the red wire that powers the interior lights and everything else. ....http://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-5.gif

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
I have had the exact same problem, many years ago, and it was the switch and not the wiring on the back of it. It could be either one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 3 gauge unit that hangs under the dash almost under the ignition switch. I notices the amp gauge light wasn't working so I reached under and futzed with it. Didn't get it to work, bet I bumped the back of the ignition switch.

The wiring on this car is not the best, but I don't feel like pulling it all apart and starting over.

I will pull the switch and check it and the wires over.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Be safe and disconnect that Amp gauge, like NOW, the light if you want it can be left hooked up, if it is a Stewart-Warner gauge it maybe either the socket is loose from the gauge(it is the ground) or the bulb is burned out...an ammeter is old school look for sure but can be a potential disaster in the making especially with the old stock wiring.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I agree on the amp gauge. You can leave it in there and disconnect it. No one will know. There over rated use a voltmeter

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
You could also try jumping the starter solenoid to see if the starter is ok or has a dead spot. Jump the battery terminal of the solenoid to the S terminal of the solenoid. Keep fingers away from fan and belt.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Doesn't sound good that you have to jump or charge to get the car to start after sitting for only a week. Mine can sit for months, and it starts right up. Either a bad battery or something draining it.....Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts