Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Wow, I need a new insurance company...

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  johnny57 
#1 · (Edited)
My 16yr old son got his license today, We gave him a Durango to drive, called my insurance company to add him and they want to DOUBLE the amount our policy costs. At first they wanted to assign him to my Wife's new RX350.... We told them he is driving the 99 Durango !!!! So they now want to add him as the designated driver to my truck, my 08 vette and his durango. I am like he can't drive three cars at once!... Doesn't matter to them. Since the truck and the Vette are "spare" cars they assign them to the highest risk driver for the most premium available.

What BS...........

#2 ·
Excluded driver

Ask your agent about excluding your son from every vehicle except the 99 Durango. This means if he drives any other vehicle and has a claim there is no coverage. He will only be covered on the Durango. Just be forewarned the most lien holders do not permit excluded drivers on any policy. I know how you feel as I went through this with my two kids.

#4 ·
These insurance companies seem to be the same
everywhere in regards to new drivers.
They treat them like they've had several claims,without them
even having any,with their high premiums for new drivers.
It's like they're penalized without having a claim.

Where I live they keep dreaming up different extended coverages
such as "underinsured driver","less than 10 years drivers driving
your vehicle",etc.,etc.,etc.,that are optional coverages to try
to milk more money out of their customers.

Ever see a POOR insurance company?:)

#6 · (Edited)
Maybe you should insure the pickup and Durango through another company. You'd still get a multi-car discount on both policies. Or keep them with your current company and insure the Vette and Lexus elsewhere.

When my oldest turned 16, I pretty much gave him my old pickup and added him to my State Farm policy as a part-time driver of all three of our vehicles. I don't recall the premium increasing very much, if at all. Same is true when we added our daughter. The premium went up only because we bought a fourth vehicle (an old Honda), but it wasn't an exorbitant amount.

Hey, maybe we should pass an "Affordable Car Insurance" law to keep prices down! And if you're poor, the rest of us will buy the policy for you.

#7 ·
Going through a similiar problem with my son, since he is a fairly new driver & under 24 years the cover is double.

Just be careful with cheaper rates as I almost got caught out with if he ever had to make a claim there were two processes, which when worked out he would be out of pocket an extra $2K

#12 ·
Yep I had same with my Boys 10 years ago.
Back when I was 16 I wreck some cars and got some tickets my Dad had me get my own insurance. But these days, It will not matter even if you put the truck in his name and get his own Insurance. If he lives in you house the Insurance company will want to raise your rates.

:anim_25:

#10 ·
I have two teens driving in my house, each added $1000 to the policy per year without them having a car just driving ours. When the one boy got his own car last year it went up another $1000 per year just for his 2001 Audi. Its insane for sure, but pretty much the same everywhere from what I understand. Its unfortunate but 16 to 25 have the most accidents and the insurance companies know it and make sure we pay for it. Oh my third kid didn't get a license and rides a bicycle to work.....I'm waiting for him to figure out I should be paying him for not getting a license:sign0020:

#13 ·
Sledgehammer, we had a problem with our auto insurance carrier earlier this year (we added a car and their billing dept. tried to double charge us for a payment we had already made). After 2 months of hassling with them and not getting the matter straightened out, I paid them what we actually owed them and cancelled our policy effective at the end of the month we had already paid for.

Did some research and went with this company......

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon?redirectjsp=true

They are based here in Texas (San Antonio). If you are a veteran or have any relations (father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, etc.) who are either vets or still serving...... You are eligible.

Its worth checking out. We ended up saving quite a bit in premiums and actually have better coverage now.

I went ahead and insured my '57 even though the old girl is 'resting up' in my garage for now. Wanted to keep her registered as an antique car ($80 for 5 years registration in Texas) and keep her insured in case I need to take her somewhere occasionally (trial run or to have work done which I cannot do here). They classified her as 'stored' for now and when I am ready to get her going again, we can change her classification to reflect that. They also insure classic and antique cars based upon appraised value, but I am a long ways from reaching that point at the present time.

Give them a holler if you are shopping around for insurance and see what you think. (No, I don't work for them and get no 'finders fee' if you sign up...... Just sharing the info.)

Happy Motoring,

Harry

#15 ·
I have had USAA for many years (my dad was retired Navy). They also raised my rates when my son was living in the house even though he had his own car. when I complained they justified it saying any licensed driver would have access to any car:driver: It must be a conspiracy! As a side note they do not cover classic cars here in Ca. They referred me to American Collectors Ins for my 55 Chevy.

#14 ·
Double plug for USAA

My daughter just got her permit, called to add her. At first I thought they were saying the premium would be raised by $870 by adding her. They clarified... My total premium for the Odyssey, Colorado and the 57 is $870... Adding her was NO change! I couldn't believe it!

#16 ·
Thanks for the tips.
When we had state farm and my oldest turned 16, we bought him a nice Honda accord, older, but nice. State Farm gigged us on that car $700 per 6 months liability only but did not raise the rates on the other cars,

They want $700 per 6 months for the Durango, which I am Okay with, but jacking up the other cars double is outrages. This is with Ameriprise,, we are shopping for someone else.

My Dad was in the AirForce back in the late 50's. I am going to try Usaa also.

#17 ·
Never hurts to look around and get quotes. We had State Farm for years. Then Farmers, which we recently dropped and went with USAA.

We added my wife's new 2013 car with liability and full comprehensive coverage in addition to liability only on the older 2003 car I am now driving and my '57 Chevy. In addition, we increased PIP limits for people in our own cars and increased the dollar amount of a few other areas as well, should we have a wreck.

Not counting the payment we made which Farmers cashed and then attempted to not credit us for...... Farmers wanted $210.66 per month to cover these 3 cars.

USAA covered them for $141.56 per month in addition to adding the extra PIP coverage along with a few other items I upgraded.

Now that is for my wife and myself. We both have good driving records, but have not taken any drivers ed classes in recent years to get our rates down. And we have no young drivers on our policy as you do.

Our kids are in their late 30s to early 40s and their kids are now in high school with the exception of my grandson, who has graduated and is serving in the Army.

Good luck with your auto insurance search,

Harry

P.S. >>>> Regarding Farmers...... Eventually, I rec'd a small refund of $12 and change which they owed us. So we are square on that. The hilarious part is that along with our refund check...... Farmers had the unmitigated gall to send a letter claiming that even though they were refunding our overpayment...... They were cancelling our policy for non-payment! This, 2-1/2 months after I notified them twice in writing that we were cancelling our policy with them due to their billing dept. attempting to overcharge us $107.14 . The billing dept. acknowledged receiving our payment in that amount, but claimed we couldn't count it towards our bill! I went around and around with them...... Over an hour on the phone and sent them several letters laying it out for them to the penny, step by step. Anyway...... My wife and I are glad to be shed of them and glad that we found another company which gave us a much better rate along with increased coverage.

#18 · (Edited)
Another thing the insurance companies want nowadays is your SS# so they can assign you in a risk group. WTHIT.

According to federal law you only have to provide that info to your employer and your bank. The IRS already know it.

I went round and round with a few of them over this and argued that they weren't insuring my credit rating nor did they need it to insure me. Auto insurance is or should be based on my vehicles and driving habits, not how much money I have or credit rating.

I never gave it to them, and some wouldn't even attempt to give me a quote without it. If that's the way they want to do business then I don't need them.

Recently my Insurer raised my rates 15% across the board even on vehicles that have been in storage and haven't had a single mile put on them in 20 years. Their excuse was that they had a rash of payouts this past couple years for hail damage to houses and needed to rise everyone's rates to stay profitable. The original idea that if you don't have claims your rates would go down are BS. they're out to rape anyone they can for everything they can get away with..

Oh, and just for inquiring minds. My entire family has clean driving records and no claims for anything for the past 30 years I've been with this company.
Sorry for the rant folks, but it's info that everyone should know.

#19 ·
Perhaps State Farm gave me preferential treatment when adding my kids back in the early 1990s, because I had been with them since 1968. I'm still with them now. They paid for a new roof on my house last year after a hail storm, when most people in the neighborhood received only a couple thousand dollars, (minus their 1% deductibles = $0). Maybe I'm charmed.:cool:

BTW, anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area looking for a really great agent, try Jenny Bray here: http://www.sayjennybray.com/

She called us last year to do a "discount double check", and we walked out with savings on both car and home insurance.

#20 ·
Mike, having a good agent makes a big difference! We had one when we were with State Farm for many years, but he retired and our experience with automotive related claims since that time were less than positive. We did have one storm related claim to our home whilst insured with them though and that was handled well.

We were still with State Farm five years ago when Hurricane Ike came right through here.

Don't know if this was the case after the storm you had there, but......

The insurance adjuster who came to our home told me that he was working out of a pool of adjusters based in Florida. He told me that when there was really widespread damage following a major storm and there were not enough local adjusters to cover the area, adjusters were sent out from this pool to assist.

He also mentioned that he was paid based upon a percentage of the damage claims he approved. I took that as meaning that he would be fair because it was not in his best interest to unjustifiably deny claims. When we settled up, we found his assessment to be fair and yes, State Farm did subtract our deductible before paying us the difference.

My Mom-in-Law's experience following this same storm was much worse, however. Her insurance carrier was Allstate. She had roof damage (missing shingles and a hole punched in her roof from a tree limb. She was 82 years old at the time and my wife and I went over there when the insurance adjusters (there were two of them) came out.

They were from Allstate (not the pool our adjuster had been sent out from). And they screwed her over royally. Low-balled her claim amount and said it didn't add up to the amount of her deductible. Which was total BS...... Her entire roof should have been replaced!

Made me mad as hell that they would treat an old lady that way. This, after raising her car insurance a year before because my Father-in-Law passed away and their rates were higher for a single woman! Personally, I would never have Allstate based upon them screwing over my family back in 1968 and I will never forgive them for what they did.

My Mom-in-Law has now stopped driving and no longer has a car to insure (we take her wherever she needs to go), but for some inexplicable reason, still has her home insured with Allstate. We've got to talk to her about getting a quote from our carrier.

Best regards,

Harry

#22 ·
My dad used to be with State Farm for like 30 years, then when I turned 16 and started driving they just went crazy and like tripled his rates. And, at the time at least, I hadn't even had a ticket. Of course through high school I had my fair share of tickets...Somewhere in there, the BelAir was parked for 2 or 3 years and I went in to insure it and they wanted all the back insurance...well no I'm not paying that. Screw you.

Any way, after the tripling and wanting back insurance on the BelAir, he dropped them and went with Farmers, since his cousin was an agent. Even with all the tickets I got (I got a LOT) the rates rarely changed.

I finally got my own with Allstate, all was fine there for about a year except over night they decided they wanted 450 a MONTH. Dropped them like a bad habit and been with Progressive ever since. I'm at about a Benjamin a month, full coverage on my 07 Dodge and have my 84 crew cab Dodge on there as well.

State Farm and Allstate are aweful IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.